Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org> on 2001/09/07 19:56:26 UTC

Have you guys looked at Avalon?

I am just beginning to get a good look at the Axis code,
to get a feel of how to embed it into Avalon based projects
like Cocoon or Avalon's Phoenix server.  There are a couple
of things that Avalon Framework and Avalon Excalibur can
do to help in the structure and development of Axis.

One is a hierarchical configuration scheme that fits well
with XML based configuration.  Using the ConfigurationBuilder
that comes with Avalon Framework, you can get a read only
Configuration tree that will allow you to retrieve type-safe
configuration elements.

Another benefit is the formalized Component framework that
is well documented and scalable.  In fact, it is the basis
of Cocoon.  I have hammered a local Cocoon server with
hundreds of simultaneous threads, and it handled the load
gracefully (as well as snapping back to normal operations
when the load was done).

By using Avalon Framework and Avalon Excalibur you gain a
number of well tested utilities and components that assist
in Axis' goals.  It handles configuration, logging (with very
fine grained control), component pooling, active resource
monitoring, JDBC connection pooling, and more.  All that,
and you don't have to reinvent most of it.

I know I'm getting involved kind of late in the game, but
I can do alot of the work involved in the conversion if it
is something you see as beneficial.

For more information, check out the project web site at
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon (the developer's docs
give a good overview of the whole system).

Whether or not you choose to base your architecture on Avalon,
I would like to provide some hooks to embed web services in
Phoenix or create them dynamically with Cocoon.  Maybe I'll
even have some time to add support for load testing web services
with JMeter ;P

Re: Have you guys looked at Avalon?

Posted by giacomo <gi...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

I'd like to add here for the WSDL2Java toolkit in the Axis code base
that Avalon Excalibur also offers a cool CLI package to handle command
line argument parsing. So, no need to reinvent the wheels.

Giacomo

> I am just beginning to get a good look at the Axis code,
> to get a feel of how to embed it into Avalon based projects
> like Cocoon or Avalon's Phoenix server.  There are a couple
> of things that Avalon Framework and Avalon Excalibur can
> do to help in the structure and development of Axis.
>
> One is a hierarchical configuration scheme that fits well
> with XML based configuration.  Using the ConfigurationBuilder
> that comes with Avalon Framework, you can get a read only
> Configuration tree that will allow you to retrieve type-safe
> configuration elements.
>
> Another benefit is the formalized Component framework that
> is well documented and scalable.  In fact, it is the basis
> of Cocoon.  I have hammered a local Cocoon server with
> hundreds of simultaneous threads, and it handled the load
> gracefully (as well as snapping back to normal operations
> when the load was done).
>
> By using Avalon Framework and Avalon Excalibur you gain a
> number of well tested utilities and components that assist
> in Axis' goals.  It handles configuration, logging (with very
> fine grained control), component pooling, active resource
> monitoring, JDBC connection pooling, and more.  All that,
> and you don't have to reinvent most of it.
>
> I know I'm getting involved kind of late in the game, but
> I can do alot of the work involved in the conversion if it
> is something you see as beneficial.
>
> For more information, check out the project web site at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon (the developer's docs
> give a good overview of the whole system).
>
> Whether or not you choose to base your architecture on Avalon,
> I would like to provide some hooks to embed web services in
> Phoenix or create them dynamically with Cocoon.  Maybe I'll
> even have some time to add support for load testing web services
> with JMeter ;P

+1

Giacomo [another Avalon biased developer]