Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rich Joslin <ma...@opusnet.com> on 2002/06/27 02:08:03 UTC

XML App Dev. & Cross-Server Compatibility

Let's say...

I am developing a JSP app that uses an XML/XSLT parser to parse flat XML
files into HTML/JSP pages.  I want this app to be easily portable from
my environment (Tomcat) to the production environment (JRun [ugh]).
What API should I use?  And even regardless of portability, does anyone
prefer a certain API for XML/XSLT stuff in JSP?  I prefer ease of use
over features.  My stuff is very basic.

Thanks for any advice.

- Rich

Re: XML App Dev. & Cross-Server Compatibility

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Rich Joslin wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 17:08:03 -0700
> From: Rich Joslin <ma...@opusnet.com>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: XML App Dev. & Cross-Server Compatibility
>
> Let's say...
>
> I am developing a JSP app that uses an XML/XSLT parser to parse flat XML
> files into HTML/JSP pages.  I want this app to be easily portable from
> my environment (Tomcat) to the production environment (JRun [ugh]).
> What API should I use?  And even regardless of portability, does anyone
> prefer a certain API for XML/XSLT stuff in JSP?  I prefer ease of use
> over features.  My stuff is very basic.

Use the JAXP APIs to acquire your XML parser and/or XSLT processor, and
you'll be reasonably portable.

In the particular case of doing XML processing in JSP pages, you might
consider using the XML tags in the JSP Standard Tag Library (JSTL), which
was released a couple of weeks ago.  Among other things, it contains some
powerful tags for manipulating XML, so you don't have to write your own
tags (or have to use scriptlets).

The reference implementation is available at
<http://java.sun.com/products/jsp/jstl>.  It's based on code developed at
Apache <http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs> in the "standard" library.

> Thanks for any advice.
>
> - Rich