Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> on 2014/06/27 23:13:43 UTC

kafka 0.8.1.1 log.retention.minutes NOT being honored

Running a mixed 2 broker cluster. Mixed as in one of the broker1 is
running 0.8.0 and broker2 one 0.8.1.1 (from the apache release link.
Directly using the tar ball, no local build used).

I have set the log.retention.minutes=10. However the broker is not
honoring the setting. I see its not cleaning the log.dir at all.

However when I set the log.retention.hours=1, then it starts cleaning the
log.

When I have the log.retention.minutes set in the server.properties then I
see this logged in server.log:

Š..
[2014-06-27 19:21:06,633] WARN Property log.retention.minutes is not valid
(kafka.utils.VerifiableProperties)
[2014-06-27 19:21:06,633] WARN Property log.retention.minutes is not valid
(kafka.utils.VerifiableProperties)
ŠŠ

I have set these properties too:

log.cleaner.enable=true
log.cleanup.policy=delete

But I see similar warning logged for these properties too.

Regards,
Virendra

Re: kafka 0.8.1.1 log.retention.minutes NOT being honored

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
log.retention.minutes is only available in 0.8.1.*.

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#configuration now has the
following entry.

log.retention.{minutes,hours}

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by François Langelier <f....@gmail.com>.
Thanks Jun,

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Added to the documentation. Topic level retentions is called retention.ms
and can be found in http://kafka.apache.org/documentation.html#configuration

Thanks,

Jun

Posted by François Langelier <f....@gmail.com>.
up?

Posted by François Langelier <f....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
Has someone really used : log.retention.minutes in kafka 0.8.1.1.
I have my full cluster running on 0.8.1.1 and the logs data is just not
getting cleaned up.

And I see this message in kafka server.log
[2014-07-10 20:49:43,786] WARN Property log.retention.minutes is not valid
(kafka.utils.VerifiableProperties)
[2014-07-10 20:49:43,786] WARN Property log.retention.minutes is not valid
(kafka.utils.VerifiableProperties)

Virendra

On 7/10/14, 10:07 AM, "Virendra Pratap Singh"
<vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID> wrote:

>Thank you for pointing out to JIRA.
>
>On 7/9/14, 6:38 PM, "Jun Rao" <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>This is being worked on in
>>https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-1325
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Jun
>>

>>On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Virendra Pratap Singh <
>>vpsingh@yahoo-inc.com.invalid> wrote:
>>
>>> Well currently the log rollup is controlled via
>>>
>>> log.roll.hours
>>> Or

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Yeah we probably should do that. I am not a committer though so someone
else may help fix this issue?

--
-- Guozhang

Re: kafka 0.8.1.1 log.retention.minutes NOT being honored

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.
Jason,

--
-- Guozhang

Re: kafka 0.8.1.1 log.retention.minutes NOT being honored

Posted by Jason Rosenberg <jb...@squareup.com>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: kafka 0.8.1.1 log.retention.minutes NOT being honored

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.
By setting this property

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang

Re: kafka 0.8.1.1 log.retention.minutes NOT being honored

Posted by Virendra Pratap Singh <vp...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Guozhang Wang <wa...@gmail.com>.

--
-- Guozhang