Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Detlef Brendle <de...@canoo.com> on 2002/10/01 17:23:36 UTC

Ant 1.5 and xerces

Hi,
I dont know whether this is exactly an issue related to the Ant1.5 release.
I have written a task which uses classes from the xerces.jar (version
1.4.4).
If I compile everything works fine. But when I run the junit task which also
runs a junit class written for testing my task it fails with the following
error:

java.lang.VerifyError: ....method merge signature(.....) Incompatible object
argukent for function call

However I checked my classpath which has beside other jar files the optional
jar from the ant 1.5 distribution and my xerces jar file. The thing is that
the optional jar file refers to the xercesImpl.jar also distributed with
Ant. This optional jar is on the classpath prior to the xerces.jar.
I tried different things and found out if I change the order of these two
jar files on my classpath it then works.

Anyway this is not a solution for me for various reasons.
I tried to exactly figure out why this is so and why I need xerces.jar at
all. Would it be possible for me to use a Parser beeing shipped with Ant ???

Does anybody have a solution for this problem ?

thanks,

detlef

Re: Ant 1.5 and xerces

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Detlef Brendle <de...@canoo.com> wrote:

> I tried to exactly figure out why this is so and why I need
> xerces.jar at all. Would it be possible for me to use a Parser
> beeing shipped with Ant ???

Only if you changed your code (or compiled against the Xerces that
ships with Ant, depends on your code).

You said you've been coding against Xerces 1.4.4's API, Ant ships a
version of Xerces-J 2.x (1.5 shipped 2.0.2, we've since then upgraded
to 2.2.0).  I wouldn't be surprised if Xerces' API had changed in an
incompatible with the change of the major version number.

Stefan