Posted to users@maven.apache.org by aalok singhvi <aa...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/18 13:02:42 UTC

Properties Files

Hello,

I have a properties files. I have a multi modules project
with 1 parent pom and approx 19 child modules. Where should
i be putting the properties files which can be consumed by all
the child modules.

Thanks

--
Aalok Singhvi

Re: Properties Files

Posted by Adrien Rivard <ad...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

For build time use, the simplest way is to put directly properties in
pom.xml (parent or childs depending on how/where it is used).
See
https://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-pom.html ,
last part.

If you have lots of them it could eventually be externalized with the use
of a specific plugin, but I would'nt recommend that at first.
Most probably you will end up with differents properties for ant vs maven
build anyway.
See http://www.mojohaus.org/properties-maven-plugin/usage.html

On Tue, Aug 18, 2015 at 4:02 PM, aalok singhvi <aa...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It's a migration of an ant project. It's java project. Presently ant gets
> build properties file on compile time.
> On Aug 18, 2015 9:56 AM, "Ron Wheeler" <rw...@artifact-software.com>
> wrote:
>
> > What are you building?
> > What language and technology stack?
> >
> > What are the properties files used for - run-time? If so, where do you
> > want them to end up when you install your app?
> > How are you installing it?
> >
> > Ron
> >
> > On 18/08/2015 7:02 AM, aalok singhvi wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a properties files. I have a multi modules project
> >> with 1 parent pom and approx 19 child modules. Where should
> >> i be putting the properties files which can be consumed by all
> >> the child modules.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>

> > --
> > Ron Wheeler
> > President
> > Artifact Software Inc
> > email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
> > skype: ronaldmwheeler
> > phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Adrien Rivard

Re: Properties Files

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
What is their purpose now if you are not using Ant?

If these are properties for the build, they should be inside the parent
POM as properties.

Ron

Re: Properties Files

Posted by Greg Trasuk <tr...@stratuscom.com>.
Converting projects to Maven is not always a direct process.

You might want to check out the document below.  It talks about a systematic approach to converting projects to Maven, based on the artifacts that are created.

http://www.webagesolutions.com/knowledgebase/kb001-Converting-To-Maven.html <http://www.webagesolutions.com/knowledgebase/kb001-Converting-To-Maven.html>

Cheers,

Greg Trasuk

Re: Properties Files