Posted to user@kylin.apache.org by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com> on 2017/03/08 20:48:45 UTC

Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Hi I'm somewhat new to Kylin.  we have a relational db schema imported into
hive as is at the moment.  The schema is highly normalized with lots of
tables.  I can see this database having multiple fact tables or a handful
of fact tables.

In Kylin I see when creating a model (star) you have the option to pick a
single fact table...meaning there is a single cube per fact table.  Please
provide pros/cons on running transformations to denormalize the tables into
a single table vs keeping lots of tables with many fact/lookup tables.

In short:
should we do any transformations in Hive before presenting the tables to
kylin for cubing?...

Thanks

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
Correct; Kylin supports star schema or snowflake schema, both are single
fact table models.

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
"Refresh" is almost the same as "build"; the only difference is "refresh"
for an existing segment, "build" for a new segment.

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Billy Liu <bi...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com>.
Thanks ShaoFeng,

--

Pushpinder S. Heer
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com>.

--

Pushpinder S. Heer
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com>.

--

Pushpinder S. Heer
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
In Kylin 1.x as it only allow one Fact table, you have to join multiple big
tables as one before using in Cube. Of course you can do that with a Hive
view, so all joins are over fly when Kylin fetches data from Hive. The
impact is, when query Kylin you need to use the name of the joined table,
instead of original fact table name.

From Kylin 2.x, it supports multiple Fact tables in one Cube; You don't

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by ShaoFeng Shi <sh...@apache.org>.
In Kylin 1.x as it only allow one Fact table, you have to join multiple big
tables as one before using in Cube. Of course you can do that with a Hive
view, so all joins are over fly when Kylin fetches data from Hive. The
impact is, when query Kylin you need to use the name of the joined table,
instead of original fact table name.

From Kylin 2.x, it supports multiple Fact tables in one Cube; You don't

--
Best regards,

Shaofeng Shi 史少锋

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sonny Heer <so...@gmail.com>.

--

Pushpinder S. Heer
Senior Software Engineer

Re: Hive table design (multiple fact tables or rolled up)

Posted by Billy Liu <bi...@apache.org>.