Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by ro...@verizon.com on 2002/02/06 20:53:10 UTC

Newbie question

Hello.  I was able to run the "newapp" using
localhost:8080/newapp/servlet/newapp/template.  My problem is that I do not
want all the bells and whistles.  The reason I am exploring Turbine is that
Velocity can not handle frames.  We handle security internally and do not
need a database.  I have been trying to hack the web.xml and
TurbineResources.properties but have not been able to get even HelloWorld
to run.  This is the example used in the "How To" section that extends
VelocityScreen.  By their exmple,
http://localhost:8080/servlet/myapp/template/HelloWorld.vm should work -
but I get the File Not Found 404 error.  My HelloWorld.vm file is in
$TDK_HOME/webapps/myapp/templates/app/templates/screens and my
HelloWorld.class is in $TDK_HOME/webapps/WEB-INF/classes.  Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Rob McLain

RE: Newbie question

Posted by Gary Bisaga <ga...@maximus.com>.
On my machine, under Catalina, I have to use
http://localhost:8080/garyapp/servlet/garyapp/template/Index.vm

The first "garyapp" gets it to the right web application. The second garyapp
(I think) points you to the Turbine servlet within that web application. I'm
not sure why the "servlet" is required. I think the URL given is only if you
install the web app as your server's default application (at least under
weblogic).

I cannot help you, but I did not understand what you have said about
"velocity can not handle frames". You should handle everything, velocity
just parses your template with the context. You can do the frames by
hand, I mean, static html files, or you can do a template for them and a
servlet.

paulo

RE: Newbie question