Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by li...@dankeeley.co.uk on 2010/06/09 10:54:30 UTC

The thorny question of keepalives again!

Hi,

Many moons ago, I submitted a patch to allow keep-alive on SOAP http
requests.
the thread is basically here:

http://marc.info/?l=jmeter-user&w=2&r=1&s=SOAP+keepalives&q=b

Now i'm back in this area, and still confused :)

What I need to simulate is this:

x clients connecting ( i.e. threads )
Sending a SOAP request every y seconds ( Loop count, with a timer - sorted )
Connection being closed after z seconds. ??

It seems to me I have no control over z.

In other words, I want to do a test where y is less than z, and  should
see the response time lower than when y is greater than z.  But I dont
currently see that behaviour at all.

In fact, when I run on solaris via ant, the default behaviour in my setup
seems to be that connections open and close incredibly quickly, and the
number of established connections remains very low.  In this setup, I see
good 20ms response times.

When i then enable keepalives, i see all the established connections build
up, but i also see response time increase to 40ms.  Which doesnt make much
sense to me!

I see different behaviour when i do this on Windows, although my windows
box is also outside the firewall, and therefore going across a different
network, hmm.  Our real clients are majority windows.

So; Is there any way i can configure z (keep alive timeout)?  and any
other thoughts?

Rgds,
Dan

Re: The thorny question of keepalives again!

Posted by li...@dankeeley.co.uk.
Hmm, maybe.

It does seem i'm confused about the timeout aspect though; Having done
some packet tracing, jmeter does seem to be doing what it should be.

Posted by Deepak Goel <de...@gmail.com>.
Thoughts below:

Namaskara~Nalama~Guten Tag

  --
Keigu

Deepak
+91-9765089593
deicool@gmail.com

Skype: thumsupdeicool
Google talk: deicool
Blog: http://loveandfearless.wordpress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/deicool

Check out my Work at:
LinkedIn: http://in.linkedin.com/in/thumsupdeicool

"Contribute to the world, environment and more : http://www.gridrepublic.org
"

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM, <li...@dankeeley.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Many moons ago, I submitted a patch to allow keep-alive on SOAP http
> requests.
> the thread is basically here:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=jmeter-user&w=2&r=1&s=SOAP+keepalives&q=b
>
> Now i'm back in this area, and still confused :)
>
> What I need to simulate is this:
>
> x clients connecting ( i.e. threads )
> Sending a SOAP request every y seconds ( Loop count, with a timer - sorted
> )
> Connection being closed after z seconds. ??
>
> It seems to me I have no control over z.
>
> In other words, I want to do a test where y is less than z, and  should
> see the response time lower than when y is greater than z.  But I dont
> currently see that behaviour at all.
>
> In fact, when I run on solaris via ant, the default behaviour in my setup
> seems to be that connections open and close incredibly quickly, and the
> number of established connections remains very low.  In this setup, I see
> good 20ms response times.
>
> When i then enable keepalives, i see all the established connections build
> up, but i also see response time increase to 40ms.  Which doesnt make much
> sense to me!

*******
Deepak
*******