Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Herman - Temp <He...@synergixtech.com> on 2008/01/16 02:54:19 UTC

Question about Subversion features

Hi,

I'm currently doing evaluation on versioning control system. Subversion is
one of my consideration to be used in the company where i'm employed. There
are around 10 developers in this company. Occasionally, when a file need to
be merged, the old code is overwritten by the new code. So, I want to know
whether Subversion has the feature to automatic lock a files that is already
checkout-ed for editting? Or Is there any suggestion to reduce the code
merging to happen? How does Subversion handle binary file? (Note: Binary
file cannot be merge normally, right?).

Regards,

Herman.

Re: Question about Subversion features

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
"Peter Connolly" <ps...@gmail.com> writes:
> If you want each developer to have exclusive use of a file that they
> are changing and you want to avoid merging, then you should probably
> be looking at RCS and avoiding Subversion and CVS.

Well... http://svnbook.red-bean.com/nightly/en/svn.advanced.locking.html

Karl

Posted by Peter Connolly <ps...@gmail.com>.
Of course, if they're Windows users all bets are off...  :-/

Posted by Peter Connolly <ps...@gmail.com>.
Thomas, Karl, et. al.,

Posted by Thomas Hemmer <th...@go-engineering.de>.
Peter, Herman,

Posted by Peter Connolly <ps...@gmail.com>.

Posted by marc gonzalez-carnicer <ca...@gmail.com>.
hi,

2008/1/16, Herman - Temp <He...@synergixtech.com>:

> Occasionally, when a file need to
> be merged, the old code is overwritten by the new code. So, I want to know
> whether Subversion has the feature to automatic lock a files that is already
> checkout-ed for editting?

in subversion, *all* the files in your working copy are "checked-out", in the
source-safe / RCS sense.

> Or Is there any suggestion to reduce the code
> merging to happen? How does Subversion handle binary file? (Note: Binary
> file cannot be merge normally, right?).

you may want to use the lock feature as Karl suggested

Ra_serf fails during checkout

Posted by Murli Varadachari <mv...@facebook.com>.

I installed the latest version of serf ³0.1.2² on a linux ³2.6.21-1.3228.fc7
³ host. I then built the latest stable client version of subversion ³1.4.6²
using this installed version of serf ( --with-serf=/xxxx --without-neon)

My subversion server is based on 1.4.5.

I am able to run ³svn ls² and other svn reporting commands. However when I
attempt to  checkout a fairly large set of sources I get this error. ==>

ue Jan 15 23:15:56 2008] [error] [client 10.16.5.106] Provider encountered
an error while streaming a REPORT response.  [500, #0]
[Tue Jan 15 23:15:56 2008] [error] [client 10.16.5.106] A failure occurred
while driving the update report editor  [500, #190004]
[Tue Jan 15 23:15:56 2008] [info] [client 10.16.5.106] (32)Broken pipe:
core_output_filter: writing data to the network

If I run  ³svn ‹version²  here is what I see

svn, version 1.4.6 (r28521)
   compiled Jan 15 2008, 22:15:53

Copyright (C) 2000-2007 CollabNet.
Subversion is open source software, see http://subversion.tigris.org/
This product includes software developed by CollabNet
(http://www.Collab.Net/).

The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme
* ra_serf : Access repository via WebDAV protocol through serf.
  - handles 'http' scheme
  - handles 'https' scheme

Has anyone seen this error  before. Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
murli