Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Kevin Old <ke...@gmail.com> on 2004/12/14 17:17:44 UTC

Backing up bayes files

Hello everyone,

I have a backup script run on my server each night that tries to
backup items in my /root/.spamassassin directory and it seems that
they are being accessed at the time tar is trying to archive them.  I
get:

/bin/tar: /root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen: file changed as we read it
/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

I'm sure others have run into this, and wondered how they got around it.

I'm running  SA 3.0.1 with the latest MailScanner on a RH 9 box.

The only option I see is that when backing these directories up I shut
down MailScanner/SA...

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kevin
--
Kevin Old
kevinold@gmail.com

Re: Backing up bayes files

Posted by Michael Parker <pa...@pobox.com>.
On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 11:17:44AM -0500, Kevin Old wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a backup script run on my server each night that tries to
> backup items in my /root/.spamassassin directory and it seems that
> they are being accessed at the time tar is trying to archive them.  I
> get:
>
> /bin/tar: /root/.spamassassin/bayes_seen: file changed as we read it
> /bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>
> I'm sure others have run into this, and wondered how they got around it.
>
> I'm running  SA 3.0.1 with the latest MailScanner on a RH 9 box.
>
> The only option I see is that when backing these directories up I shut
> down MailScanner/SA...

With SA 3.0 you can run:
sa-learn --backup > backup.txt

This will dump the bayes databases in text form, which you can then
backup.  It should get the proper read locks and what not.

Michael