Posted to xmlbeans-dev@xml.apache.org by David Bau <da...@bea.com> on 2004/01/20 20:11:12 UTC

JAX-RPC/XMLBeans

> Moving on to other things, do you know how (or if) BEA is going to
> reconcile XMLBeans with JAX-RPC for J2EE 1.4 Web services support?  I'm
> very curious because I'd like to use XMLBeans-derived interfaces for data
> transfer and persistence in one of my gestating enterprise apps.  I've run
> into the issue of using XMLBeans on a Web service endpoint.  Is there a
> simple way to get XMLBeans and JAX-RPC 1.1 to play nice together?

One of the goals we've written down for XMLBeans v2 is to try to get
XMLBeans and JAX-RPC 1.1 to work really well together.  For example, on one
side I'd like to try to get XMLBeans v2 to support bindings to Javabean-like
classes that match the JAX-RPC specs.  Since not all XML schema can be
supported with this kind of binding, it will be an alternate binding style.
Work is ongoing here within the v2 tree (mainly Scot and PCal);, under
src\binding there is some preliminary code that does some binding and
marshalling - by no means ready for deployment, but work in progress.

On the other side, we're trying to structure XMLBeans v2 so that it can be
plugged into a web service pipeline efficiently and nicely.  For example,
JAX-RPC is built over SAAJ.  But once you've parsed your data into a SAAJ
tree, you don't really want to make another copy of it again into an
XmlObject or DOM tree.  So there is some ongoing work (eric and remy) to
make v2 capable of being plugged into a SAAJ implementation without copies.

One missing link which we still need to discuss in this space is how the
RPC-style binding style and the schema-oriented binding style (and the
SAAJ-enabled store) relate to each other.

The other way of answering your Q - if you're using BEA's 8.1 JAX-RPC
implementation and XMLBeans v1, I know BEA did put together a codec and a
compiler tool that allows you to use XMLBeans on top of BEA's JAX-RPC fairly
easily.   I didn't work on the tool, but Remy did and might be able to point
you at docs.

David