Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Roger Ting <ro...@optusnet.com.au> on 2002/09/29 22:24:19 UTC

Out of Memory Exception

I keep getting java lang out of memory error even i set
-Xmx to 64 meg. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

I am using jdk 1.4 Tomcat 4.1

Re: Out of Memory Exception

Posted by Rafael Angarita <ra...@telcel.net.ve>.
    Did you installed the solaris 8 patches for jdk1.4?

Roger Ting wrote:

>Sun OS 5.8. The funny thing is if i use Tomcat 1.3, this doesn't occur at
>all. But in my case, i need to use jdk 1.4 for cocoon 2.0.3.
>This is the source of headache. After i installed Cocoon, it is even worse.
>Out of Memory error just completely killed
>Tomcat. It is possible to use Tomcat with jdk 1.3.1 and cocoon 2.0.3 and
>both start up fine. However, problem occur
>when i intend to use Tomcat and Cocoon to connect to a databases using jdbc.
>So currently, my only hope is
>cocoon 2.0.3 and Tomcat 4.1 and JDK 1.4 and MySql J-Connector.
>
>Just need to know how to suppress Tomcat or Cocoon to take up so much memory
>
>Someone suggested it is due to  memory leak. I am installing the binary
>version of Tomcat. How can that be?

Rafael Angarita
Administrador de Sistemas
Telcel Bellsouth
(+58212)(2009765)

Re: Out of Memory Exception

Re: Out of Memory Exception

Posted by Cor Hofman <ch...@lucris.nl>.
Roger,

As I seem to recall, 64 Meg is the default max for the java VM. So you
probably have to go beyond 68M.
Another thing could be memory leaks, i.e. memory not reclaimed by the
garbage collector. Unless you have a fairly good explanation why you need
more than the 64Mb, I would consider looking for leaks :-)

Regards,

  Cor.