Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Peter K. Sheerin" <li...@petesguide.com> on 2004/11/25 01:28:21 UTC

[users@httpd] Content negotiation working for WAP, but it shouldn't be!

I have tried over the past few years to configure Apache to support
server-side content negotiation for both desktop and mobile browsers,
only to fail because most cell phone browsers claim to support both HTML
and WAP without specifying any quality preferences.

Suddenly, I have gotten this to work with my Motorola A845 phone
browser, and can't figure out why, because it still doesn't send the q
factors that should be needed to make it work. (I'm running Apache/1.3.31)

I have two files in my root:
index.en-us.wap
index.en-us.xhtml

And this in my .htaccess file
AddType application/xhtml+xml;level=1;charset=utf-8;qs=0.999 .xhtml
AddType application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml;charset=utf-8;qs=0.800 .wap

According to the string it sends, and the apache rules described in the
documentation, apache should be sending the. xhtml page to both Mozilla
and my phone browser, since the latter claims to support both without
preference:
HTTP_ACCEPT =
application/xhtml+xml,text/html,...,application/vnd.wap.xhtml+xml

But my phone, and at least one of my friends' phones, is consistently
getting the .wap page. Why?

Is apache using a different algorithm than the one described? Is a wap
proxy doing something strange? Or could it be that this phone is
actively supporting client-side or transparent negotiation? How would I
determine this?