Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by "eberhard speer jr." <se...@ducis.net> on 2014/07/30 01:59:56 UTC

Take stock

Re: Take stock

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
That's not exactly true, especially for essential information like "vendor"
W3C Core Vocabulary took 2 aspects into consideration, OpenDDR added
precision:
 <Property name="vendor" datatype="xs:string" aspects="*device, webBrowser,
operativeSystem*" defaultAspect="device"/>

And at least the BuilderDataPatch contains some weird hacks that make no
real sense, like
     <builder class="org.apache.devicemap.simpleddr.builder.device.
*AndroidDeviceBuilder*">
          <device id="desktopDevice">
            <list>
         *     <value>macintosh</value>*
*              <value>windows nt</value>*
              <value>x11</value>
            </list>
          </device>

A patch that initial OpenDDR data used merely for specific Android devices
like the Kindle Fire.

While

 <builder class="org.openddr.simpleapi.oddr.builder.device.SimpleDeviceBuilder">
            <device id="desktopDevice">

was where desktop devices, even if just the browser matches got extra
recognition support.

Looking at the simple OpenDDR Filter, it shows pretty much the same results
for Windows right now as the Client does:
desktop resolution: 800 x 600
Only few attributes are actually used, but the ones that are show, that
windows is recognized as "desktopDevice", too.

Werner

Re: Take stock

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
So its important not to confuse devices with browsers and operating systems. They are all separate entities and a User-Agent contains *ALL THREE*.

Right now our device-data only has patterns to detect devices. ODDR never expended to include these other entities. So right now DeviceMap does not directly detect browsers or operating systems. OS is indirectly detected via a device attribute because phone operating systems are pretty static.

In dclass, there is actually a different pattern set used to detect browsers and operating systems:

Re: OS detection

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, good to know. The dClass project seems primarily by Reza, but
unless some of his Java client work is inspired by the code there, it does
not seem subject to DeviceMap contribution[?]

If even a very simple PHP example could be written by a PHP-savy person it
would certainly be a good addition to demonstrate it for various languages
or platforms.

Regards,
Werner

Re: OS detection

Posted by Adam Leach <ad...@adders.eu>.

Re: OS detection

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
As mentioned it will only be used via a decent number of "UI Component
Libraries", beside Spring (not just using Spring, but having Spring Mobile (
http://projects.spring.io/spring-mobile/) and similar projects use or at
leasts directly refer to it.

I was quite sucessful, see RichFaces Mobile
https://community.jboss.org/wiki/GettingStartedWithMobileRichFaces to
evangelize OpenDDR.
It probably takes at least graduation to take DeviceMap seriously, but see
CDI as well as Spring the current static singleton offered by the
Classifier will make it harder for most DI containers to use. When the time
is right for Pluto I also propose or actively participate in DeviceMap
support, but first of all Pluto needs to move to Portlet 3, that is
currently more important. Apache DeltaSpike also has potential, so do a few
other APIs, I mentioned them a few times, it does not mean we need to write
something against all of them, but they should be attracted to the project
to use it[?]

Re: OS detection

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
I dont think that 1600x900 is supposed to be taken literally. Obviously you cannot detect the size of a browser window on the backend. That is basically meant to be a placeholder. If you are using backend device classification for the window size, simply put, you are doing frontend wrong.

Werner, what DeviceMap use case do you advocate? Or do you see no use for this project?

________________________________
Simply assuming every desktopDevice must now have 1600x900 pixel is dangerous and does not add much value to layout or responsive design, etc.

I spoke to a friend from the PHP camp who was also in Nürnberg as speaker, and not only in this area he once again confirmed, a majority of users probably would not use any of these repositories, neither Open Source (like DeviceMap/OpenDDR) nor the commercial closed-source alternatives directly in PHP. A vast majority of "end users" or web designers rely on a framework or content engine like Zend, Typo3, or WordPress and those engines have to provide some level of device regognition.

Re: OS detection

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: OS detection

Re: Take stock

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Take stock

Re: builders and data

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
As SimpleDeviceBuilder is only used in the *Patch files right now, it
seemingly takes only these:

<builder class="org.apache.devicemap.simpleddr.builder.device.SimpleDeviceBuilder">
          <device id="genericPhone">
            <list>
              <value>LG</value>
              <value>NetFront</value>
              <value>Palm</value>
              <value>SAMSUNG-SGH</value>
              <value>Up.Browser</value>
              <value>Windows CE</value>
              <value>Windows CE; IEMobile</value>
            </list>
          </device>
          <device id="genericTouchPhone">
            <list>
              <value>android</value>
              <value>blackberry</value>
            </list>
          </device>
          <device id="desktopDevice">
            <list>
              <value>Mozilla/4.0</value>
              <value>Mozilla/5.0 .compatible</value>
              <value>Mozilla/5.0 .Windows</value>
              <value>Mozilla/5.0 .Macintosh</value>
              <value>Mozilla/5.0 .X11</value>
              <value>Mozilla/5.0 .Ubuntu</value>
              <value>Opera</value>
              <value>Safari</value>
              <value>Chrome</value>
              <value>Konqueror</value>
            </list>
          </device>
        </builder>

and a somewhat longer list in the BuilderDataSourcePatch.xml file also
under "Simple".

Above list like "android, blackberry" (that is not the only place, but one
especially if the parser looks at just a subset of the DDR definitions)
probably needs additional values, if FirefoxOS shall work, aside from a
"genericFirefoxOS" or similar root entry. Like in other cases, the top
level device classes may be OS independent, then we might do without a
"genericFirefox*" but need pointers to the new OS similar to Android or
Apple at the moment.

Of course "desktopDevice" may be anything from Windows to Apple/Mac or
ChromeOS (have we ever tested that btw, some vendors seem to sell it already
[?]) which in addition ot Android may at least appear on a tablet or similar
"factor" device, too (there are others, the UA site contains a limited
number of devices like "XBox", "PlayStation" or "Wii", one may call that
"genericConsole" and don't forget the "Wearable" trend, I saw thoug clunky
and ugly smart watches in Nürnberg with a real browser, too[?])

 Werner

Re: builders and data

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Re: Take stock

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.

Re: Take stock

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Re: Take stock

Posted by Reza <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Of course. Can you elaborate on your concerns and then we can discuss in more detail?

So... I added 2 new objects to the Java API: Device and DeviceMapFactory

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/trunk/devicemap/java/classifier/src/main/java/org/apache/devicemap/DeviceMapFactory.java?view=markup

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/devicemap/trunk/devicemap/java/classifier/src/main/java/org/apache/devicemap/data/Device.java?view=markup

And I also converted the toString() output of the data objects to JSON.

As for the device-data, basically just moving patterns and definitions from the patch file to the regular files. Specifically, the generic fallback patterns. These patterns are key to plugging the holes 'generically' in our detection code.

Thoughts?