Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by jmaltais <je...@techie.com> on 2007/06/26 22:09:18 UTC

(More) Hiding Password from server.xml

Hi gang!

I know this has been discussed before.  I want to completely remove the
password from the server.xml file.  It is only readable by root but that is
not good enough for me.
Some ideas:
* Hardcoding in a JDBC driver but then it can be taken and used by anybody.
* What about a subclassed Datasource with the specific login info there?
The problem is I don't want to have to always need to build tomcat from
source.  Anyone have an answer or have tried this before?

More thoughts?

Cheers!

Re: (More) Hiding Password from server.xml

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Best I can think of is to write your own class to initialize a db pool
and pull the password from a file encrypted with the server's public key
(assuming it has a ssl cert.).  To get  the password from such a file
requires the server's private ssl key which should be protected like the
Hope Diamond anyway.

I'll let you do the rest from there or modify it to fit your needs.

--David