Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com> on 2005/08/13 13:40:33 UTC

[M2] RAR plugin and reusability of lifecycle

Hey guys,

I am trying to finalize the m2 rar plugin but I am stuck about
[re]using the plugin's lifecycle.

As an introduction, a RAR file is not really a JAR file ; It's more
like an EAR file actually. It is basically composed of :

* META-INF/ra.xml with the deployment descriptor of the connector
* Jar file containing the connector implementation
* Others libs needed by the implementation

What I am trying to do is to achieve the following use case: a m2
project contains the source code of the connector implementation as
well as the descriptor. I would like first to compile/test/package the
connctor implementation (basically what the jar plugin does) then
create the rar file (i.e. include the generated jar, other libraries
included in some ways and the ra.xml file).

I had a chat on IRC asking gurus how to reuse the jar:jar lifecycle
and in the end they were suggesting to reimplement this in my plugin.
This sounds weird to me for a couple of reasons.

What if the jar plugin evolves, provide more customization, features
(include/exclude list is a good example). I also want this in my rar
plugin for the connection implementation packaging phase, should I
copy/paste this?

How to reuse the jar lifecycle so that this plugin is called first in
the rar lifecycle? Is it a good idea or do you agree with the
suggestion so far?

Actually with m1 I would have done

<goal name="rar:rar" prereqs="jar:jar>
[...]

Now guys WDYT?

Thanks,
Stéphane
--
.::You're welcome ::.

Re: [M2] RAR plugin and reusability of lifecycle

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
One thing here is key: We *don't* want dependencies between plugins.

Basically, everything in the jar plugin that you want to reuse should be
encapsulated in maven-archiver. This includes manifest handling and
configuration options.

For the lifecycle, there is currently no inheritence from a default. I
think this is probably wise to make sure that a plugin behaves the same
across Maven versions. This is just configuration to copy and shouldn't
be a big deal.

Does this cover everything you needed to know?

Thanks,
Brett