Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by al...@apache.org on 2017/03/30 15:38:17 UTC

Should we force the use of the Gradle daemon?

Hey devs,

TL;DR: Gradle daemon can cause problems on some environments. Why do we
force it on?
---
Recently, I tried to disable the Gradle daemon for Android builds on our CI
(because it is unstable when running concurrent builds), but found that it
is nearly impossible to do. To each Gradle invocation, Cordova adds an
argument which forces the usage of the daemon[1].
I've also found that some other users had issues with the daemon[2].

At the moment, you cannot disable it for good. Even if you do "cordova build
android -- --gradleArg=-Dorg.gradle.daemon=false", it would only fix things
for the build command. The Gradle daemon is still invoked when adding a
plugin.

I ended up creating a monkey patch commenting this line out on our CI, but I
don't think it is the best solution here.

So, what I wanted to ask is: Do we really need to force it on like this?
Can't we just rely on user's Gradle properties?

[1]
https://github.com/apache/cordova-android/blob/master/bin/templates/cordova/
lib/builders/GradleBuilder.js#L57
[2] https://forum.ionicframework.com/t/kill-the-gradle-daemon/31690

Thanks,
Alexander Sorokin

Re: Should we force the use of the Gradle daemon?

Posted by Joe Bowser <bo...@gmail.com>.
After looking at this for a bit, I'm not sure exactly why we added it.  We
should allow it to be turned off, but I think we may want to keep it on for
the default just to be safe.