Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by William Reynolds <wn...@stellarscience.com> on 2019/06/21 16:44:40 UTC

Problem Building an Installer Using Coolbeans 2018.12

We have an RCP application that I was trying to create an installer for
(right click the project, Package As->Installers). The build was failing
with the following error:

-do-compile:
     [mkdir] Created dir:
C:\Users\wnreynolds\Desktop\Work\<deleted>\build\installer\nbi_all\ext\infra\build\products\helloworld\build\ext\components\products\helloworld\build\empty
     [javac] Compiling 2 source files to
C:\Users\wnreynolds\Desktop\Work\<deleted>\build\installer\nbi_all\ext\infra\build\products\helloworld\build\ext\components\products\helloworld\build\classes
     [javac] error: Source option 5 is no longer supported. Use 6 or later.
     [javac] error: Target option 1.5 is no longer supported. Use 1.6 or
later.

I don't have a deep understanding of the build harness, but it looked
like an empty application, helloworld, was being added to the installer,
and the compile was failing it due to too low a javac.{source,target}
specification.

Setting javac.{source,target}=1.8 in my toplevel project.properties
didn't fix the problem.

Editing
CoolBeans\harness\nbi\stub\ext\components\products\helloworld\nbproject\
project.properties and changing javac.source=1.8 javac.target=1.8 fixed
the problem.

I know folks are managing a lot of changes with the move to apache, and
this is a little problem, but it should be simple to fix and will save
others the couple of hours I took to track it down.

Thanks for your work.

FWiW, about my coolbeans:

*Product Version:* CoolBeans IDE 2018.12 (Build coolbeans-9-on-20190221)

*Java:* 11.0.2; OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 11.0.2+9

*Runtime:* OpenJDK Runtime Environment 11.0.2+9

*System:* Windows 10 version 10.0 running on amd64; Cp1252; en_US (nb)

*User directory:* C:\<deleted>\AppData\Roaming\NetBeans\2018.12

*Cache directory:* C:\<deleted>\AppData\Local\NetBeans\Cache\2018.12

--
William Reynolds, Ph.D.
Stellar Science, LLC

Re: Problem Building an Installer Using Coolbeans 2018.12

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 at 17:44, William Reynolds
<wn...@stellarscience.com> wrote:

> We have an RCP application that I was trying to create an installer for (right click the project, Package As->Installers). The build was failing with the following error:

Not a direct answer to your question, but you might want to consider
using InnoSetup instead.  It's easy to integrate into the build
process across platforms, and does a few useful extra things out of
the box (eg. upgrades, shortcut icons, etc.)

If you're interested, my template and ant target are at

https://github.com/praxis-live/praxis-live/blob/master/resources/pl-installer.iss.template
https://github.com/praxis-live/praxis-live/blob/master/build.xml#L70

Best wishes,

Neil