Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by "Athneria, Mahendra" <ma...@atos.net> on 2012/11/21 08:07:19 UTC

Which phase of page lifecycle will not occur when we access page 2nd time?

Hi,

I have one question regarding the Page life cycle.

When we are accessing the page very first time then it will follow below life cycle.
§  @PageLoaded<http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/annotations/PageLoaded.html>
§  @PageAttached<http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/annotations/PageAttached.html>
§  @PageDetached<http://tapestry.apache.org/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/annotations/PageDetached.html>
Now when I access the same page 2nd time which of the phase will not occur?
Regards,
Mahendra

Re: Which phase of page lifecycle will not occur when we access page 2nd time?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 10:25:21 -0200, Athneria, Mahendra
<ma...@atos.net> wrote:

> But I still haven't got mine. :)
> [Mahendra] - hahahahaha.... actually one of my friend and we were
> discussing about the phases of Page. we are using 5.2 so for us it is
> Page Pooling. But as per the latest document page pooling is no more in
> tapestry. So I got my answer :-)

Actually, T5.2 doesn't have page pooling either, just T5.0 and T5.1.

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo

RE: Which phase of page lifecycle will not occur when we access page 2nd time?

Posted by "Athneria, Mahendra" <ma...@atos.net>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
<ma...@atos.net> wrote:

> Thanks Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo,

You're welcome!

> I got the answer :-)

But I still haven't got mine. :)

Posted by "Athneria, Mahendra" <ma...@atos.net>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
I seem to be explaining this concept a bit lately... perhaps the tapestry
docs need to include an explanation.

Tapestry pages are singletons. Tapestry does a bit of byte code magic on
your pages and components to transform them so that any request specific
state is stored in a thread local map. In production mode, the member
variables in your component classes are not used. In development mode,
tapestry mirrors the thread local values to the component class fields to
make debugging easier.

http://tapestryjava.blogspot.co.uk/2010/07/everyone-out-of-pool-tapestry-goes.html

Re: Which phase of page lifecycle will not occur when we access page 2nd time?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 22:03:46 -0200, Geoff Callender
<ge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, every page render request and component event request does result
> in pageAttached(), onActivate() and pageDetached() being called.
>
> But there's one other situation, shown in the example "When Tapestry
> creates a URL to this page". It results in pageAttached() and
> pageDetached() but no onActivate(). I just thought that might be worth
> being reminded of.

Agreed, even the initial question being about requests. :)

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.
Yes, every page render request and component event request does result in pageAttached(), onActivate() and pageDetached() being called.

But there's one other situation, shown in the example "When Tapestry creates a URL to this page". It results in pageAttached() and pageDetached() but no onActivate(). I just thought that might be worth being reminded of.

Cheers,

Geoff

Posted by Lenny Primak <lp...@hope.nyc.ny.us>.

Posted by Geoff Callender <ge...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> So now with 5.3.6, since pooling is disabled, is it a single page
> instance for each request?

Yes.

> And how does it differ from the activation context event if they are
> both executed when the page is first loaded ?

That's a completely different thing. The singletonness of Tapestry 5.2+ is
about fields and the activation context is about invoking an event handler
method.

> My *guess* is that tapestry loads the page for the first time
> (@PageLoaded),

Correct.

> attaches it to the client's session (that is created by
> default)

That's not correct. Tapestry doesn't create an user session by default.
It's created when needed (a write to the session). In addition, page
instances aren't attached to sessions. I guess you're talking about the
per-thread map used to store the field values. If yes, then you were
correct, just used the wrong words. :)

> and then executes the ActivationContext even whenever a request is made
> to the page, am I correct ?

Correct.

Posted by Muhammad Gelbana <m....@gmail.com>.
Got some patience left for another question ? :)

So now with 5.3.6, since pooling is disabled, is it a single page instance
for each request ? And how does it differ from the activation context event
if they are both executed when the page is first loaded ?

My *guess* is that tapestry loads the page for the first time
(@PageLoaded), attaches it to the client's session (that is created by
default) and then executes the ActivationContext even whenever a request is
made to the page, am I correct ?

Posted by "Athneria, Mahendra" <ma...@atos.net>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.
This page says the page pool is disabled as of tapestry 5.2
http://tapestry.apache.org/page-life-cycle.html

Two of the links you provided have a "deprecated" warning:

Posted by "Athneria, Mahendra" <ma...@atos.net>.
Hi Lance Java,

I am still not clear. Could you please explain the same or give me some link to clarify my doubt?

Regards,
Mahendra

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
I'm back and forth because these kind of per-request things might be better
done in a PerThread service, which gains some laziness that isn't present
in the attach/detach lifecycle events.

--
Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Which phase of page lifecycle will not occur when we access page 2nd time?

Posted by Norman Franke <no...@myasd.com>.

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
However, I'm thinking of "de-deprecating" @PageAttached and @PageDetached.
I think they are actually useful in the long run.

So:

@PageLoaded - once when the page is initially constructed
@PageAttached - once per request, when the page is first used in that
request
@PageDetached - once per request, after the response has been sent to the
client user agent

On Wed, Nov 21, 2012 at 12:43 AM, Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>wrote:

> @PageAttached and @PageDetached are deprecated and are leftovers from page
> pooling. The page pool has been disabled by default since version 5.2 in
> favour of page singletons which maintain mutable state in thread local
> maps.

Howard M. Lewis Ship

Creator of Apache Tapestry

(971) 678-5210
http://howardlewisship.com

Re: Which phase of page lifecycle will not occur when we access page 2nd time?

Posted by Lance Java <la...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by antalk <na...@vankalleveen.net>.
i believe only @PageLoaded