Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by dl...@comcast.net on 2014/04/10 18:12:51 UTC

[PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

I am proposing a blog for the project to be hosted on the blogs.apache.org site. There was a similar proposal last year on the dev list [1], but no vote or decision. Apache has a web page with setup instructions [2], which also states that the PMC is responsible for the blog content and for granting write access to the blog. The process for setting up a blog is easy and defined in [2].

To move forward I think we need to resolve some items:

1. The bylaws don't define how to vote on blog content, but the default vote is in a Lazy Approval fashion, with no defined timeframe. I’m thinking 3 days. Since the PMC is responsible for the content, should we enforce something different, say, consensus or majority approval from active PMC members over 3 days?

2. Guidelines for content. If we accept cross-posts from other sites or blog posts from guest writers (non-contributors, non-committers), what rules should be enforced (PMC is responsible for content)? For any author, can their employer or employer's products be mentioned?

3. Do the articles need to be Apache licensed?

[1] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/201311.mbox/%3CCAD-fFU%2B7ZqoVGYMzN%3D09dv9fMSv%2BF32XbsMubsw9HTZ6n155rg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-blogs

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
Cell-Level Security wasn't patented?

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by David Medinets <da...@gmail.com>.
Can links to articles be posted or should the whole article be included in
the post?
Are the posts branded as Accumulo or the individual contributor?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 12:12 PM, <dl...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am proposing a blog for the project to be hosted on the blogs.apache.orgsite. There was a similar proposal last year on the dev list [1], but no
> vote or decision. Apache has a web page with setup instructions [2], which
> also states that the PMC is responsible for the blog content and for
> granting write access to the blog. The process for setting up a blog is
> easy and defined in [2].
>

> To move forward I think we need to resolve some items:
>
> 1. The bylaws don't define how to vote on blog content, but the default
> vote is in a Lazy Approval fashion, with no defined timeframe. I'm thinking
> 3 days. Since the PMC is responsible for the content, should we enforce
> something different, say, consensus or majority approval from active PMC
> members over 3 days?
>
> 2. Guidelines for content. If we accept cross-posts from other sites or
> blog posts from guest writers (non-contributors, non-committers), what
> rules should be enforced (PMC is responsible for content)? For any author,
> can their employer or employer's products be mentioned?
>
> 3. Do the articles need to be Apache licensed?
>
> [1]
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/accumulo-dev/201311.mbox/%3CCAD-fFU%2B7ZqoVGYMzN%3D09dv9fMSv%2BF32XbsMubsw9HTZ6n155rg%40mail.gmail.com%3E
> [2] http://www.apache.org/dev/project-blogs

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.

> I am proposing a blog for the project to be hosted on the blogs.apache.orgsite. There was a similar proposal last year on the dev list [1], but no
> vote or decision. Apache has a web page with setup instructions [2], which
> also states that the PMC is responsible for the blog content and for
> granting write access to the blog. The process for setting up a blog is
> easy and defined in [2].

yay!

> To move forward I think we need to resolve some items:
>
> 1. The bylaws don't define how to vote on blog content, but the default
> vote is in a Lazy Approval fashion, with no defined timeframe. I’m thinking
> 3 days. Since the PMC is responsible for the content, should we enforce
> something different, say, consensus or majority approval from active PMC
> members over 3 days?

Personally, I think Lazy Approval and 3 days is fine. Can PMC members see
posts that are in draft status? If so, I think a note that a given draft is
going to be published in {X | X > 3} days should be sufficient.

Yes - the setup page shows how to do this.

> 2. Guidelines for content. If we accept cross-posts from other sites or
> blog posts from guest writers (non-contributors, non-committers), what
> rules should be enforced (PMC is responsible for content)? For any author,
> can their employer or employer's products be mentioned?

I think so long as a PMC member is willing to act as reviewer (and it
follows the above lazy approval process), it should be fine.

Personally, I don't think something related to Accumulo being commercial
should preclude it from what we bring to the community's attention.

> 3. Do the articles need to be Apache licensed?

Related: what license do we want applied to the blog posts we author?

I don't see any obvious licensing info on the Apache hosted blog posts.

--
Sean

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 4/10/14, 12:24 PM, Sean Busbey wrote:
>> 2. Guidelines for content. If we accept cross-posts from other sites or
>> >blog posts from guest writers (non-contributors, non-committers), what
>> >rules should be enforced (PMC is responsible for content)? For any author,
>> >can their employer or employer's products be mentioned?
>> >
> I think so long as a PMC member is willing to act as reviewer (and it
> follows the above lazy approval process), it should be fine.
>
> Personally, I don't think something related to Accumulo being commercial
> should preclude it from what we bring to the community's attention.

As long as we're not biased or preferential to one over another, I don't
see this as an issue, either.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 9:12 AM, <dl...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I am proposing a blog for the project to be hosted on the blogs.apache.orgsite. There was a similar proposal last year on the dev list [1], but no
> vote or decision. Apache has a web page with setup instructions [2], which
> also states that the PMC is responsible for the blog content and for
> granting write access to the blog. The process for setting up a blog is
> easy and defined in [2].

yay!

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Seems reasonable. I just thought the organic, informal, open,
topic-subscription model, was a good one. No formal maintenance/effort
required.

--
Christopher L Tubbs II
http://gravatar.com/ctubbsii

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Corey Nolet <cj...@gmail.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Bill Havanki <bh...@clouderagovt.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Donald Miner <dm...@clearedgeit.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Mike Drob <ma...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 10:43 AM, Christopher <ct...@apache.org> wrote:

> Personally, I'd find it easier to simply suggest people post to a
> common Google+ topic/community, when there's something of community
> interest to blog about, rather than maintain a monolithic blog.

Christopher, should we take this as a -1 or just a statement that you,
personally, don't wish to help with the maintenance of the blog?

--
Sean

Re: [PROPOSAL] Accumulo Blog

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.