Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Short <ds...@san.rr.com> on 2007/04/06 02:47:26 UTC

IDE

I'm sure this question has been asked many times.  So, I apologize in
advance.  Can anyone recommend a freeware Java/JSP/JSF IDE that is
compatible with Apache and Tomcat?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Re: IDE

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Ah... get a chance to tell you how cool Netbeans is, love love love it.
Does most any Java programming, and it excels with Tomcat.
Use a wizard to make your JSP or Servlet, then debug it in the editor, and
then deploy, all very easy.

Apache is all text configuration... it actually could do with a good
configuration tool but I have never seen one. Apache has very good help
files that will get you going.

Typically you develop your Tomcat stuff, and plug into Apache afterwards for
stuff like load balancing and clustering, and you can debug your servlet
with Apache acting as a front end... dont worry about that, you'll pick up
Apache once you get going with Tomcat and Netbeans.

If you going to learn Netbeans, just keep in mind that the "Web Visual
Development" is bleeding edge.
 That stuff lets you develop web sites like VB IDE's, but its not a good way
to learn servlets and JSP's... it uses Tag handlers, Script, CSS, Java
Server Faces to work its magic, and they are all deep frameworks, so the
HTML page and the Java will look foreign.

So get Netbeans, use the project manager to make a NORMAL "web application",
then right click on the project and make a JSP page, and right click on the
project and make a Servlet, then right click on those items and run them...
you will see Tomcat work and the test pages in the browser.
If you look at the code, its easy to understand and you'll learn quickly.
Then you can start looking at stuff like Java Server Faces, Tag handling, or
Struts in the wizards.... and decide if you want to go that way. There are
so many frameworks, its overwhelming, so better to get into the basic stuff
first.
Spring is also a popular framework as well and you can download the Spring
plugin for Netbeans...

Can even get a C++ module for Netbeans.

Put in this way... I used to develop with Visual Studio.... Netbeans Tomcat
and Java are better.
 Not only as tools, but you will find these tools allow you to leverage a
huge open source environment, and that means with smart design, your clients
only need to pay you.
There are terrific dB's out there like Postgresql, there are powerful search
engines, XML tools, and you'll find most of the Apache site Open Source
integrates beautifully.

Developing on Windows works very very well, very easy to setup, and a nice
dev environment.
Then... run your creation on plain XP or MS Server 2000/3 or drop it into
linux.

If you new to Java.... take your time with the basics, you'll find you can
do most things... then have a look at stuff like JBoss Spring Struts etc.

Netbeans..... very very good, and sponsored by Sun, so you can be sure all
the fancy stuff like Enterprise EJB's are also covered.

I get very excited when I see a newbie coming to Tomcat and Netbeans....
theres a learning curve but you never going to look back.
I call it foreplay... and theres a major orgasm ahead of you.... ha ha.

Have Fun

Re: IDE

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
NetBeans and Eclipse are the most popular ones.

http://www.netbeans.org/ + Visual Web Pack
http://www.netbeans.org/products/visualweb/

http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/eclipse-jsf/

jEdit is great with macros and vertical copy-paste, but it's a
plain-text editor.

-Rashmi

Re: IDE

Posted by Rashmi Rubdi <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 4/17/07, David Short <ds...@san.rr.com> wrote:
> NetBeans uses the embedded Tomcat 5.5.17 by default.  How can a newly
> installed Tomcat 5.5.20 be configured to be used as the default?

Like most products/technologies NetBeans has it's own mailing list:
http://www.netbeans.org/community/lists/

-Rashmi

Re: IDE

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
.... nice to know they cant take it back.... haha

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.

Re: IDE

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
If I'm not mistaken.... Both Tomcat and Netbeans are sponsored by Sun
So its not surprising they go well together....
Tomcat is Suns servlet test standard.... and netbeans is the Sun sponsored
dev tool ;)

NetBeans IDE 5.5 Download Installers

English (en) ??? (ja) Português (pt_BR) ?? (zh_CN) ???? (zh_TW)
Linux 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 45.6 MB
Mac OS X 83 MB 83 MB 83 MB 83 MB 71.2 MB
Solaris SPARC 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 45.6 MB
Solaris x86 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 54.5 MB 45.6 MB
Windows 54.7 MB 54.7 MB 54.7 MB 54.7 MB 45.8 MB

I'm sure there is a netbeans there for u.....

Posted by "dimitryous r." <04...@edelphy.com>.
Hi,

Re: IDE

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
Sorry for delay... hell of a electric storm here...

You made me look again... ha ha
OK... you got the previous TOOLS->SERVER MANAGER->ADD SERVER story.
You can set up 10 tomcats if you want, just make sure each one as a unique
server and shutdown port.

THEN.... just start a project, make a servlet etc.  If you right click,
select
PROPERTIES RUN.... you will see you can run any of the tomcats.

Its actually amazing because when you debug... it use the NEW tomcat... you
will be able to tell straight away because when you compile a servel, if it
is in the new tomcat, it will dissapear because netbeans wants it to use the
BUILD code.

These Netbean Tomcat dudes are flippin smart....

Here is link for the linux guys
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_Netbeans_and_Tomcat

Posted by "dimitryous r." <04...@edelphy.com>.
Hi there

Here is a partial list of my ports:

	 Open TCP Port: 	80			http://192.168.0.1/			Apache HTTPD 1.3.33 +
php5 + MySQL
	 Open TCP Port: 	3306		jdbc:mysql://192.168.0.1:3306/javatest?" +
											"user=the_user&password=the_pswd"
																MySQL

	 Open TCP Port: 	3700		???
	 Open TCP Port: 	3820		???
	 Open TCP Port: 	3920		???
	 Open TCP Port: 	4848		http://192.168.0.1:4848/	Sun Java™ System
Application Server Admin Console
	 Open TCP Port: 	7676		???
	 Open TCP Port: 	8009		???
	 Open TCP Port: 	8080		http://192.168.0.1:8080/	Apache Tomcat 5.5.20
	 Open TCP Port: 	8081		http://192.168.0.1:8081/	Apache Tomcat 5.5.17
	 Open TCP Port: 	8181		https://192.168.0.1:8181/	idem for ssl
connections
	 Open TCP Port: 	8686		???

As you see, the Apache Tomcat 5.5.17 is useless as the first one is
running at boot time.

? Is there a way to avoid to launch Apache Tomcat 5.5.17 when I
launch NetBeans 5.5 ?

? Will try change some of the code within NetBeans ?

RE: IDE

Posted by David Short <ds...@san.rr.com>.

Re: IDE

Re: IDE

Posted by "dimitryous r." <04...@edelphy.com>.

Re: IDE

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
I don't do anything with jsf (yet), but have done a lot of work with
NetBeans.  It does a very nice job.

--David