Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2012/10/01 23:14:16 UTC

0.96.0

I'm trying to put a fence around the 0.96.0 release.  I've done a few
passes but there are still way too many issues filed against it.
Please review and move out what you think can wait untill 0.98 [1].
I'm thinking blockers and criticals should make 0.96 and no more.

The main attributes of 0.96.0 as I see it are:

+ Protobufs anywhere we persist (to the filesystem, to zookeeper, over
the wire, etc.)
+ Hadoop 1.0.0 is a requirement
+ You can run 0.96 on Hadoop 2.0.x
+ Runs on jdk7
+ All tests pass most of the time (instead of what we currently have
where unit tests all pass on rare occasion)

What else?

+ Snapshots?

Thanks,
St.Ack

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE/fixforversion/12320040#selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project%3Aversion-issues-panel

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
Agreed. And maybe consider rolling in the other jiras that rely on it, e.g.
HBASE-5815, etc.?
-------------------
Jesse Yates
@jesse_yates
jyates.github.com

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:24 PM, lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> You mean as build time dependency, right? (Not sure now)
>
> I think we have said in the past it's not a runtime dependency.

Yeah, that was the past.  I'm asking if it should be a runtime
dependency for 0.96 forward?

If we do require it as a runtime dependency, then there needs to be
good reasons (one such is you need 3.4 to run secure hbase IIRC -- but
insecure doesn't require 3.4).  Requiring folks update to 3.4 when
they update their hbase is a little obnoxious; we should have good
reason for it if we require it of them.

St.Ack

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I added all the above to the description of the 0.96.0 release so that
means for sure it'll include them all, right?

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/plugins/servlet/project-config/HBASE/versions

St.Ack

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@gmail.com>.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)

Re: 0.96.0

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.
+1 for doing it now for 0.96.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Andrew Purtell <ap...@apache.org>.
Ted's right, 3.4.5 is what you want, not 3.4.4.

Posted by yu...@gmail.com.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Dave Wang <ds...@cloudera.com>.
+1 on getting ZK 3.4.4 and snapshots for 0.96.  There's a couple of fixes
in the pipeline that rely on multi and if it's stable, then hopefully it's
less risk.

- Dave

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by lars hofhansl <lh...@yahoo.com>.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Matt Corgan <mc...@hotpads.com> wrote:
> I'll keep debugging PrefixTree stuff in my spare time to try to get it in
> as experimental.  I think it's down to the last couple bugs but hard to
> know for sure.  It's fairly non-invasive being just another
> DataBlockEncoding, so can't hurt people who don't turn it on.

This would be sweet Matt.
St.Ack

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Matt Corgan <mc...@hotpads.com>.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Re: 0.96.0

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.

> + Protobufs anywhere we persist (to the filesystem, to zookeeper, over
> the wire, etc.)
> + Hadoop 1.0.0 is a requirement
> + You can run 0.96 on Hadoop 2.0.x
> + Runs on jdk7
> + All tests pass most of the time (instead of what we currently have
> where unit tests all pass on rare occasion)

At least for a minimum requirement, though I feel we could ship 0.96
without java7 support (and hence saving fixing all the failing tests).