Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Daniel Amadei <da...@yahoo.com.br> on 2004/07/14 15:08:34 UTC

HTTP code 500 in wsdl:fault return

Hi All,

Is there something that mandates a 500 return when a SOAP/HTTP web service returns a Server.userException (a wsdl:fault representing an application exception)?

Can I change Axis without having to recompile, to return 200 when application exceptions are thrown?

Is there any specific reason for the 500 return in this situation or is this implementation specific to Axis?

Thanks for any help.

Daniel C. Amadei

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Mail agora ainda melhor: 100MB, anti-spam e antivírus grátis!

RE: HTTP code 500 in wsdl:fault return

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
The HTTP 500 status code is mandated by the SOAP specification.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-SOAP-20000508/#_Toc478383529

“In case of a SOAP error while processing the request, the SOAP HTTP server
MUST issue an HTTP 500 "Internal Server Error" response and include a SOAP
message in the response containing a SOAP Fault element (see section
<http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-SOAP-20000508/#_Toc478383507#_Toc478383507>
4.4) indicating the SOAP processing error.”

Anne

  _____

Is there something that mandates a 500 return when a SOAP/HTTP web service
returns a Server.userException (a wsdl:fault representing an application
exception)?
Can I change Axis without having to recompile, to return 200 when
application exceptions are thrown?
Is there any specific reason for the 500 return in this situation or is this
implementation specific to Axis?
Thanks for any help.
Daniel C. Amadei
  _____

Yahoo! <http://br.rd.yahoo.com/mail/taglines/*http:/br.info.mail.yahoo.com/>
Mail agora ainda melhor: 100MB, anti-spam e antivírus grátis!