Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Xavier Toth <tx...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/01 16:28:39 UTC

[m2] repository hell

There seem to be a number of issues here are several:
a.) different poms with dependencies on the same jar but using different
groupId/artifactId (ex. jetty/jetty and jetty/org.mortbay.jetty) causing
multiple copies to be downloaded and stored

b.) poms using syntax like ${commons_beanutils_version} which isn't valid
(as far as I know)

I wish there was something I could do to help fix these problem maybe if
there were a way to know the maintainer of parts of the repository so they
could be contacted and told of specific issues?

Re: [m2] repository hell

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/1/05, Xavier Toth <tx...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see this a problem also in that the users like myself aren't necessarily
> qualified to provide a fix for someone elses pom. I still think the
> contributor/maintainer needs to be known and notified since they would
> have
> the knowledge of how to resolve the issue.

Many of the projects with pom problems are not themselves using m2, so the
volunteers there may know even less than you do about how to fix the
problem. A polite inquiry on the developers list can't hurt, though. :)

It's important that everyone do what they can to help. Just opening a ticket
and posting what you think is the correct pom will go a long way-- if you
don't get it exactly right, others will comment on the ticket and eventually
the right solution will be arrived at.

For example, someone (Matt?) opened a ticket for the MyFaces pom with a
couple of changes. I didn't have time to write the complete fixed version,
but I posted a link to the MyFaces Wiki that lists all the dependencies.
Someone else came along and posted a more complete pom.

--
Wendy

Re: [m2] repository hell

Re: [m2] repository hell