Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@opensource.lk> on 2005/09/23 09:09:42 UTC

[Axis2] 1.0-alpha release

Hi,

Since we are done with all the stuff that were planned to do for alpha,
I would like to cut the release on 24th. I know that our tiny little
data binding code is not there yet, but i think that will take sometime
and lets have it in the next release in a more stable manner.

So lets freeze the code for the release and test the stuff for the
release. Please get a checkout and do "maven dist-bin", "maven dist-src"
and "maven war".

*Documentation *: I really appreciate if some people can help with
correcting grammatical errors and typos in documents. All the documents
were written mostly by non-native english people and I accept that we do
have errors. So please help us in this as I do think that alpha is a
serious milestone we gonna achieve. I would like to give a better first
impression on the first time users. And at the same time I agree that
our documentation is not covering everything  as well.

Anyway, lets hope for the best and do this release on 24th, one day
after the scheduled date.

Thanks,
Chinthaka ...

Re: [Axis2] 1.0-alpha release

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi,
Well perhaps I was too eccentric in saying 75% (actually it is a rough
number I picked without much thought and is not a reflection of the actual
amount of funtionality we need to add) but what I feel is that there's room
for functionality and improvements.
In my side I feel that pumps for WOM to WSDL 1.1/2.0 are important
components that should be included. I guess others will think of bits of
pieces that are justfiable to be included in the final version 1.0 as well ?

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2] 1.0-alpha release

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Sanjiva Weerawarana wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-09-23 at 21:58 +0600, Ajith Ranabahu wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>Yep I'm sure the 'first impression' is very important but frankly I
>>don't think this alpha release is going to be completed in
>>functionality even though I do not expect a major architectural
>>change. I can think of all sorts of minor imporvements / feature
>>additions that needs to be done for the other upcoming releases and I
>>would say alpha is 75% of the 1.0 as far as the functionality is
>>concerned.
>

> What's the missing 25% of functionality?? Let's make a list of missing
> features; if there's really 25% missing then we cannot do an alpha
> release.

well, I've promised changes to the fault handling :)

Re: [Axis2] 1.0-alpha release

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.

Re: [Axis2] 1.0-alpha release

Posted by Ajith Ranabahu <aj...@gmail.com>.
Hi all,
Yep I'm sure the 'first impression' is very important but frankly I don't
think this alpha release is going to be completed in functionality even
though I do not expect a major architectural change. I can think of all
sorts of minor imporvements / feature additions that needs to be done for
the other upcoming releases and I would say alpha is 75% of the 1.0 as far
as the functionality is concerned.
After all, everything depends on how this release is 'marketed' :).

--
Ajith Ranabahu

Re: [Axis2] 1.0-alpha release

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Performance AND usability. (default settings, client working w/o
explicit repository? etc)

thanks,
-- dims

--