Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com> on 2000/06/16 17:47:25 UTC

www.eurofootball.com

Ok, all, we have a stable (more or less :) version of the site running
under:
195.42.213.219/editorial/gb_home.xml

please hit it, try out some of the other languages and GIVE ME SOME LOAD :)

There are still numerous areas being worked on (don't bother trying to
log-in or sign-up for membership, I'm working on it) . . .

Several of the games are unavailabe, also . . .

Please note that one optimization (concerning the caching for pages with
many 'teaser' articles) is not implemented. . . you should note responses on
single articles in under 2 seconds but for pages with numerous summaries,
processing time can be upwards of 7 seconds . . .

Any feedback (ie, what's broken) is appreciated . . .

A note about the hacks:

One anomalous but useful hack I wanted to point out is:
none of the java is embedded directly in the xsp pages (de_, it_, gb_, etc)
and, as yet, we haven't debugged the tag-lib version . . . so, how you ask
did we do it :)

I love this hack: the Document type declaration declares an entity which
imports the java at the declaration (&logic;). I have to abmit, I'm a sucker
for a quick fix :)

A further note about development:

For a project under great pressure, XSP has been GREAT! Thanks very much.

Though we're breaking a bunch of design principles, the prototyping process
with xsp has been very nice to work with. We're headed for a set of custom
'generators' but, for the interim, xsp is what the doctor ordered....
--
Mark (Poetaster) Washeim

that await translation.

Quem colorem habet sapientia?'

Evan S. Connell

Re: www.eurofootball.com

Posted by Mark Washeim <es...@canuck.com>.
on 16/6/00 5:55 pm, Yann at ylelocat@ims.ltd.uk wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I had a look at your site and it looks pretty good. In particular, the
> selection of a different language is awesome.
>
> Now I don't mean to be nit-picky but it would be nice if the
> username/password textfields were aligned.

Coming, thanks. Every bit of feeback is appreciated . . . numerous cosmetic
things are still awry, but, go ahead an fire away!!!

> Yeah, I agree with you. XSP has been excellent for my web-apps prototypes. I
> have one in production now and it has been so cost effective, both in terms
> of time and resources.
>
> Yann - about to support France at a pub right now...

Damn you ! I have to work on the site!

Re: www.eurofootball.com

Re: www.eurofootball.com

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Mark Washeim wrote:

> Ok, all, we have a stable (more or less :) version of the site running
> under:
> 195.42.213.219/editorial/gb_home.xml
>
> please hit it, try out some of the other languages and GIVE ME SOME LOAD :)
>
> There are still numerous areas being worked on (don't bother trying to
> log-in or sign-up for membership, I'm working on it) . . .
>
> Several of the games are unavailabe, also . . .
>
> Please note that one optimization (concerning the caching for pages with
> many 'teaser' articles) is not implemented. . . you should note responses on
> single articles in under 2 seconds but for pages with numerous summaries,
> processing time can be upwards of 7 seconds . . .
>
> Any feedback (ie, what's broken) is appreciated . . .
>
> A note about the hacks:
>
> One anomalous but useful hack I wanted to point out is:
> none of the java is embedded directly in the xsp pages (de_, it_, gb_, etc)
> and, as yet, we haven't debugged the tag-lib version . . . so, how you ask
> did we do it :)
>
> I love this hack: the Document type declaration declares an entity which
> imports the java at the declaration (&logic;). I have to abmit, I'm a sucker
> for a quick fix :)
>
> A further note about development:
>
> For a project under great pressure, XSP has been GREAT! Thanks very much.
>
> Though we're breaking a bunch of design principles, the prototyping process
> with xsp has been very nice to work with. We're headed for a set of custom
> 'generators' but, for the interim, xsp is what the doctor ordered....

Ufff... I was waiting for that result :) You know, you and I had great
discussions about how all this would stand in reality and I can tell you
now: I've never written _any_ dynamic web site or any kind. Nada, zero,
void.

Everything came up with my personal experience on java.apache.org
scalability problems (well, not an easy task, I admit given the degree
of graphical and time distribution of the human resources involved),
tons of whiteboard layouts and immense feedback from incredible
communities like this one.

But the Cocoon pipeline model and the XSP language are my personal
inventions, even if I awe a shitload to people like Pierpaolo and
Ricardo that helped me incredibly in polishing both designs.

And now you tell me they work in real life and not only on paper.

Know what? There is only one step missing: the sitemap model.

Once this is in place (it will happen when Cocoon2 is final), it will
complete my R&D work for my college thesis and watch this baby grow and
take over the world.

If you think Cocoon1 is great, Cocoon2 will blow your away.

And you'd better tell your friends because when this happens, it's far
better to be "inside the wave" than in front of it :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

RE: www.eurofootball.com

Posted by JJD <jj...@home.com>.
Hi: The site is awesome. The articles do take more than 7 seconds to load
but I think it is my cache that is at fault :} I read loud and clear both
French and English language with no problem of loading and/or format. I
looked at the source code to discover the href link to be interesting, great
XSP stuff.

<A
href="gb_home.xml?lang=gb
					&d=10
					&a=12165
					&toc=0
					&rcd=321
					&page=home">

Keep up the great work. France is winning "of course" :) yeah (:

Till later JJD