Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Christopher Lamey <cl...@localmatters.com> on 2008/09/15 20:31:24 UTC

CSV Data Set Config/JSESSIONID Question

Hello,

I have a question about the CSV Data Set Config - I'm not sure if what I'm
seeing is a bug or intended.

I am trying to stress test a webapp that serves out thousands of domains.
So I'm trying to use a CSV Data Set to read in all the domains and user
agents that I've seen in production.  I use those as variables for the other
elements.

Here's what I have:

-Test Plan
    - Thread Group
        - HTTP Cookie Manager
        - CSV Data Set Config
            - Filename: /path/to/my/file.txt
            - Variable Names: host,ua
        - HTTP Request
            - Server name or IP: ${host}

This is working just fine, except for one thing.  Every time a thread goes
through a Thread Group iteration, JSESSIONID is reset.  "Clear cookies on
each iteration?" is *not* checked in the HTTP Cookie Manager element.

Now, if I disable the CSV Data Set Config and set the host and ua variables
in a User Defined Variable element at the top, the sessions are not cleared
on each iteration (which is what I want).  It looks to me like the CSV Data
Set Config element is resetting each thread's cookie map on each iteration.

Is that something I should expect or is it a bug?

Also, is there a better way to vary the domain?  I have tens of thousands of
domains that I need to cycle through, so hand entering them isn't feasible.
I could write something that generates a bunch of Thread Groups based on the
domain, but that seems like a pain (tens of thousands of Thread Groups seems
ugly).

Thanks,
Chris

Re: CSV Data Set Config/JSESSIONID Question

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 15/09/2008, Christopher Lamey <cl...@localmatters.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I have a question about the CSV Data Set Config - I'm not sure if what I'm
>  seeing is a bug or intended.
>
>  I am trying to stress test a webapp that serves out thousands of domains.
>  So I'm trying to use a CSV Data Set to read in all the domains and user
>  agents that I've seen in production.  I use those as variables for the other
>  elements.
>
>  Here's what I have:
>
>  -Test Plan
>     - Thread Group
>         - HTTP Cookie Manager
>         - CSV Data Set Config
>             - Filename: /path/to/my/file.txt
>             - Variable Names: host,ua
>         - HTTP Request
>             - Server name or IP: ${host}
>
>  This is working just fine, except for one thing.  Every time a thread goes
>  through a Thread Group iteration, JSESSIONID is reset.  "Clear cookies on
>  each iteration?" is *not* checked in the HTTP Cookie Manager element.
>
>  Now, if I disable the CSV Data Set Config and set the host and ua variables
>  in a User Defined Variable element at the top, the sessions are not cleared
>  on each iteration (which is what I want).  It looks to me like the CSV Data
>  Set Config element is resetting each thread's cookie map on each iteration.
>
>  Is that something I should expect or is it a bug?

The CSV data set does not interact with the Cookie Manager, so I don't
see how this is possible. Can you e-mail me the JMX file privately?

>  Also, is there a better way to vary the domain?  I have tens of thousands of
>  domains that I need to cycle through, so hand entering them isn't feasible.
>  I could write something that generates a bunch of Thread Groups based on the
>  domain, but that seems like a pain (tens of thousands of Thread Groups seems
>  ugly).

I would normally suggest using CSV data set for this.

However, as an alternative, you could use the StringFromFile and split
functions to achieve much the same.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
OK, thanks for confirming that it is not a JMeter problem.

Posted by Christopher Lamey <cl...@localmatters.com>.
Hello again,