Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Ken Giusti <kg...@redhat.com> on 2013/07/12 21:17:27 UTC

Please read: Change to C++ broker default behavior wrt QMF

Folks,

I've made a change on trunk to the way the C++ Broker generates unsolicited management update messages (i.e. object update notification messages and event messages). [1]

Previous to this change, the broker would transmit two messages for each management event and object update - one in the old QMFv1 binary format, and one in the QMFv2 AMQP Map format. This change disables the send of the QMFv1 binary version of the message.  The new broker default behavior is to send only one message per event/update, in the QMFv2 map format.

The old behavior can be re-enabled, but must be done manually.  This can be done either on the qpidd command line by specifying "--mgmt-qmf1=yes", or in the configuration file (mgmt-qmf1=yes).  This command option has existed for a while now, I've simply changed the default to "no".

And just to be clear, the remaining QMFv1 behavior has not changed: the broker still supports QMFv1 style queries and method calls without requiring any configuration changes.

I want this to go in for the 0.24 beta so we can get feedback sooner rather than later.  I'm hoping this acts as a "gentle nudge" that will uncover any QMFv1 dependencies before we attempt removing any of the QMFv1 stuff in future releases.

"What does this mean to me?"

1) If you use console.py (the python QMF console library under extras/qmf/src/py/qmf/console.py), you'll want to upgrade to the latest version to get the fix for this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4689  (the version in the 0.24 beta will contain this fix)
2) If you cannot upgrade console.py, or have other code which requires QMFv1 style updates, re-enable the old behavior as described previously

Justin - when beta is cut, we'll need to highlight this change and the above notes in the announcement email.

This change also solves https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-4907

[1] http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=revision&revision=1502642

Re: Please read: Change to C++ broker default behavior wrt QMF

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Ahh, sorry I missed that - cheers guys.

F.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Fraser Adams <fr...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
Hey Ken,

Posted by Bill Freeman <ke...@gmail.com>.
Since I did make my tool work with v2, and I am currently discarding v1
messages (*), I think that this won't impact me.

(* I have to discard the v1 messages, since we are not, as previously
proposed, delivering the v2 messages to a separate Console (callback)
method.  So I'm slightly less certain that this isn't a problem than I
would have been if I could have simply not over loaded the v1 methods.  But
I've been in there with pdb, and I'm pretty sure.)

I do wonder if there are other folks using this interface who also read
this list, since I seem to be the only squeaky wheel.

Bill