Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Jerry Cwiklik <cw...@us.ibm.com> on 2014/02/07 16:49:33 UTC

Wire format negotiation timeout - auto retry

Under a  heavy network load we occasionally are getting the dreaded "Wire
format negotiation timeout..." exception when opening broker's connection in
the client. We attempted to solve the problem with
wireFormat.maxInactivityDurationInitalDelay=60000 url param, but even with
that extended timeout the exception still happens. Our best guess is that
the wire format frame gets lost somehow. We have no concrete evidence of
that other than the timeout. 60 secs seems like a pretty long time though.

Is there any chance to add a new wireFormat configuration parameter that
would control a number of retries on "Wire format negotiation timeout" with
default = 1? I know its a long shot, but I want to float the idea for
consideration.

We can build the retry in the application, but I think the framework support
would be a better fix.

Comments?

Jerry C

Re: Wire format negotiation timeout - auto retry

Posted by Jerry Cwiklik <cw...@us.ibm.com>.
Good point. We will try the failover.

Thanks

Re: Wire format negotiation timeout - auto retry

Posted by Timothy Bish <ta...@gmail.com>.
On 02/07/2014 10:49 AM, Jerry Cwiklik wrote:
> Under a  heavy network load we occasionally are getting the dreaded "Wire
> format negotiation timeout..." exception when opening broker's connection in
> the client. We attempted to solve the problem with
> wireFormat.maxInactivityDurationInitalDelay=60000 url param, but even with
> that extended timeout the exception still happens. Our best guess is that
> the wire format frame gets lost somehow. We have no concrete evidence of
> that other than the timeout. 60 secs seems like a pretty long time though.
>
> Is there any chance to add a new wireFormat configuration parameter that
> would control a number of retries on "Wire format negotiation timeout" with
> default = 1? I know its a long shot, but I want to float the idea for
> consideration.
>
> We can build the retry in the application, but I think the framework support
> would be a better fix.
>
> Comments?
>
> Jerry C

Why not just use the failover transport?

--
Tim Bish
Sr Software Engineer | RedHat Inc.