Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net> on 2016/09/23 22:13:24 UTC

Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Apologies in advance if I'm posting this incorrectly (in which case I
welcome a link to any Tapestry-specific etiquette guide) -- my first
post to this list.

We are experimenting with upgrading from Tapestry 5.3.6 to 5.4.1, as
part of our move from Java 7 to Java 8.

The interface org.apache.tapestry5.ioc.MessageFormatter seems to have
disappeared.  Yet it is still listed, e.g. at
https://ci.apache.org/projects/tapestry/current/apidocs/org/apache/tapestry5/ioc/MessageFormatter.html

When I look at the ivy dependency details (org.apache.tapestry,
tapestry-ioc, rev 5.4.1), I see the jar tapestry-ioc-5.4.1.jar, but
package org.apache.tapestry5.ioc does not contain MessageFormatter.   If
I download the jar directly from
http://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.apache.tapestry/tapestry-ioc/5.4.1,
and look at it manually with "jar tvf", there's no MessageFormatter.

Has that interface been removed and replaced with something else? If so,
why would it still show up in the doc (1st link I referenced?)  Or am I
simply doing something stupid? :-)

TIA.

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Posted by Ivano Luberti <lu...@archicoop.it>.
Il 03/10/2016 18:50, Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo ha scritto:
> On Sat, 01 Oct 2016 13:20:27 -0300, Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net>
> wrote:
>
> As far as I can remember, Ivy uses Maven repositories and does
> transitive dependencies.

well it seems they kind of discourage this practice...

http://ant.apache.org/ivy/m2comparison.html

dott. Ivano Mario Luberti
Sede Operativa
Via Gereschi 36 - 56126- Pisa
tel.: +39-050- 580959
tel/fax: +39-050-8932061
web: www.archicoop.it

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> Thank you, and for the kind words of encouragement.

:)

> We're stuck at the moment with Ivy (not Maven), so the transitive
> dependencies did not show up.  I had to ask here to find out about the
> change (thanks everyone).

As far as I can remember, Ivy uses Maven repositories and does transitive
dependencies.

> Is there some sort of tool (or website) that will show (those of us
> still stuck in the dark ages :-) ) what the actual dependency tree is?

mvn dependency:tree. :D

--
Thiago H. de Paula Figueiredo
http://machina.com.br

Re: Tapestry 5.4.1, MessageFormatter gone?

Posted by Charles Roth <cr...@thedance.net>.
>> Just the packaging has changed, add dependency to commons:
>>
>>   <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
>>   <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
>>   <version>5.4.1</version>
>
> This dependency should be already there due to the tapestry-ioc and
> tapestry-core
> packages already depending on the commons one. This class was just
> moved unchanged
> from one subproject (JAR) to another, without any source code changes.
Thank you, and for the kind words of encouragement.

We're stuck at the moment with Ivy (not Maven), so the transitive
dependencies did not show up.  I had to ask here to find out about the
change (thanks everyone).   Is there some sort of tool (or website) that

Posted by Thiago H de Paula Figueiredo <th...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 23 Sep 2016 22:32:45 -0300, Kalle Korhonen
<ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just the packaging has changed, add dependency to commons:
>
>   <groupId>org.apache.tapestry</groupId>
>   <artifactId>commons</artifactId>
>   <version>5.4.1</version>

This dependency should be already there due to the tapestry-ioc and
tapestry-core
packages already depending on the commons one. This class was just moved
unchanged
 from one subproject (JAR) to another, without any source code changes.

By the way, your post has nothing incorrect. It's on topic, describe the
issue
you're having well, absolutely nothing to complain. :) Welcome to the list
and keep posting! :D

Posted by Kalle Korhonen <ka...@gmail.com>.