Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by musky <mu...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/21 13:16:47 UTC

Help with performance of apache derby server

hello,

i am developing a project in school which is a testing tool which will
present to its students mcq questions,figure based questions.note that for
the figure based questions,the required image is stored in the database in a
BLOB type object.

the number of students who will be answering are 50(min) to 100(maximum).

the answer tables are updated as and when the student answers his questions.

is it a good idea to use apache derby for this kind of project or should i
look at mysql server.

please tell me which is better suited.

i urgently need views on this.

good day.

Re: Help with performance of apache derby server

Posted by Donald McLean <dm...@gmail.com>.
Well, I would use a DB independent object-relational mapper (such as
Hibernate) and then try the one that you think would be the easiest
(embedded Derby is pretty darn easy!). If it doesn't give you the
performance that you want, try something else.

Donald

Posted by Dy...@Sun.COM.
musky <mu...@gmail.com> writes:

> also note that when the user presses the back and next buttons provided in
> the testing GUI to navigate through the questions a select operation is
> made.there will be a maximum of say 1000 questions in the database tables.

Don't think the size of your problem/likely transaction rate makes a
difference here. So if I were you I'd rather look at other factors that
may influence your decision, such as:

- Licence, Apache vs Dual GPL
- Embedded vs server
- All Java vs native code
- Support for SQL features need/want

etc.

> musky wrote:
>>
>> hello,
>>
>> i am developing a project in school which is a testing tool which will
>> present to its students mcq questions,figure based questions.note that for
>> the figure based questions,the required image is stored in the database in
>> a BLOB type object.
>>
>> the number of students who will be answering are 50(min) to 100(maximum).
>>
>> the answer tables are updated as and when the student answers his
>> questions.
>>
>> is it a good idea to use apache derby for this kind of project or should i
>> look at mysql server.
>>
>> please tell me which is better suited.
>>
>> i urgently need views on this.
>>
>> good day.

dt

Re: Help with performance of apache derby server

Posted by musky <mu...@gmail.com>.