Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Sergio Kef <se...@gmail.com> on 2019/05/24 22:17:11 UTC

Proposal: Restructure slack

Slack is a channel that could support a lot more our community.
I've noticed that as a developer I get a bit overwhelmed by the amount of
messages there, every time I join. This is a "good" problem, shows engaging
community. What we miss though is the opportunity to catch up quickly
what's going on, if we missed some days/weeks or even if it's our first
time there.

So I propose a small restructure of the channels to make it easier follow
and catch up.
* announcements (as is)
    - new releases
    - community announcements
* general
    - events (meetings, webinars, conferences, etc)
    - material (tutorials, blog posts, etc)
* contribute
    - contributors' questions (getting started, ci, testing, etc)
    - future ideas & more (eg some premature AIPs)
    - call for help on bugs/fixes/PRs
* how-to (similar to current troubleshooting)
    - user issues
    - guidance on ETLs

Of course the list is open for suggestions.
Let me know what you think.

Sergio.

Re: Proposal: Restructure slack

Posted by Sergio Kef <se...@gmail.com>.
Hi again,
After some research on other communities and based on the comments above I
restructure my proposal:

Slack Channels:
* announcements (as is)
    - new releases
    - community announcements
* general
    - events (meetings, webinars, conferences, etc)
    - material (tutorials, blog posts, etc)
* contribute
    - call for help on bugs/fixes/PRs

Mailing Lists:
* dev@
    - For community discussions on maintenance / contributions / development
* users@
    - For community questions on usage / best practices / common pitfalls,
etc

Stackoverflow:
- There are already some tags there and we can create new if we believe it
would help organize stuff.

How could we reach a broader consensus on this?
I think it's important to embrace this, because there are already tickets
with attached links for slack discussions.

S.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>
E: jarek.potiuk@polidea.com

Re: Proposal: Restructure slack

Posted by Ash Berlin-Taylor <as...@apache.org>.

Posted by Flo Rance <tr...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Yep. Agree with Szymon.

--

Jarek Potiuk

M: +48 660 796 129 <+48660796129>
E: jarek.potiuk@polidea.com

Re: Proposal: Restructure slack

Posted by Szymon Przedwojski <sz...@polidea.com>.

Posted by airflowuser <ai...@protonmail.com.INVALID>.
In most of the projects I see the tech/support questions are directed to stackoverflow. In general many consider popularity of project by how many answers are there in stackoverflow.

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <Ja...@polidea.com>.
Yeah but:

--

Jarek Potiuk