Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net> on 2002/10/19 03:49:52 UTC

[VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jar file name prefix

Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Martin Cooper wrote:
>

>>Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 12:48:52 -0700
>>From: Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com>
>>To: 'Tag Libraries Developers List' <ta...@jakarta.apache.org>
>>Subject: RE: Jar names

I concur!

The current common taglib build does create a MANIFEST.MF that includes the version,
here is an example from the application taglib nightly build:

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Created-By: Apache Ant 1.5

Name: org.apache.taglibs.application
Comment: Application Tag Library Fri Oct 18 03:41:34 CDT 2002
Implementation-Title: org.apache.taglibs.application
Implementation-Version: 1.0.N20021018
Implementation-Vendor: Apache Software Foundation
Implementation-URL: http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs

The best way to change the jar file names would be to change the
jakarta-taglibs/common.xml ant build to put a taglibs- in front of the name.
Any taglibs which don't use the common build are on their own.

<ballot>
   [ ] +1 Change the common build to use a "taglibs-" jar file prefix
   [ ] -1 Leave it the way it is
</ballot>

If the vote is ok, I'll make the change to common.xml.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: [VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jarfilename prefix

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.
The jar file MANIFEST.MF has more details on the origin of the jar
and the .tld has information about the origins of the tld.
The only real purpose for adding a prefix is to use a name which
ties the taglib to the Jakarta-Taglibs project and would minimize
name conflicts with other jar files or tld's.

I think the prefix "taglibs-" does that sufficiently.

I'll make the change to the build for generating the .tld files.

Regards,

Glenn

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Makes sense. +1

+1 for me too.  (The 'taglibs-xxx.tld' names might seem redundant to those
who don't realize 'taglibs' refers to our project name, but that's not a
big deal.)

Shawn

Re: [VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jarfilename prefix

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Pierre Delisle wrote:

> Glenn Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > A separate issue, should we also change the *.tld names to be for
> > example taglibs-request.tld instead of request.tld?
>
> Would be nice to be consistent... +1.

Makes sense. +1

Re: [VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jarfilename prefix

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.

Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> I am going through jakarta-taglibs and finding all the places where
> this needs to be changed.  Changing common.xml just changed the creation
> on the taglib jar file.  There are some taglibs that depend on other taglibs
> for their examples, I have had to update their builds also.
>
> A separate issue, should we also change the *.tld names to be for
> example taglibs-request.tld instead of request.tld?

Would be nice to be consistent... +1.

    -- Pierre

Re: [VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jar filename prefix

Posted by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@mail.more.net>.

Posted by Pierre Delisle <pi...@sun.com>.
> <ballot>
>    [X] +1 Change the common build to use a "taglibs-" jar file prefix
>    [ ] -1 Leave it the way it is
> </ballot>

    -- Pierre

Re: [VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jar file name prefix

Posted by Shawn Bayern <ba...@essentially.net>.
On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Glenn Nielsen wrote:

> The best way to change the jar file names would be to change the
> jakarta-taglibs/common.xml ant build to put a taglibs- in front of the
> name. Any taglibs which don't use the common build are on their own.

Agreed, though we should eventually follow suit in the other libraries as
a matter of policy.

> <ballot>
>    [ ] +1 Change the common build to use a "taglibs-" jar file prefix
>    [ ] -1 Leave it the way it is
> </ballot>

I'm +1 on this.

Shawn

Re: [VOTE] modify taglibs common.xml build to put "taglibs-" as jar file name prefix

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.