Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jon Camilleri <ca...@gmail.com> on 2008/09/07 22:07:21 UTC

[NEWBIE]Tomcat 6.0.16-reboot required when changing the port number

1.       I've updated server.xml to change the default port from 8080 to 80,
however, I've noted that restarting the server leaves apache tomcat
listening on both ports 8080 and 80, until the server is rebooted.

Scripts executed

shutdown.sh

startup.sh

OS: RedHat Fedora 9 running Linux 2.6.25

2. It's also noted that exporting the following line, makes the server crash
(i.e. Gnome does not boot up and some libraries seem be corrupted during
startup)

export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1  Why?

Rgds,

Jonathan Camilleri

Mobile (MT): 00356 7982 7113

E-mail: camilleri.jon@gmail.com

-----

 P "Please consider your environmental responsibility before printing this
e-mail"

I usually reply to e-mails within 2 business days.  If it's urgent, give me
a call.

-----

Re: [NEWBIE]Tomcat 6.0.16-reboot required when changing the port number

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 7, 2008 at 11:12 PM, Jon <ca...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No I'm stating that I had to reboot to get apache 'not running' on port 8080
> and it seemed unusual, because I ran the shutdown scripts.

Running the shutdown script doesn't guarantee anything -- there are
any number of reasons why your Tomcat instance wouldn't shut down
(or at least, not right away).

Did you do a `ps` to see if the process was still active? If it is, a `kill -9`
is a lot quicker than a reboot  :-)

FWIW,

Re: [NEWBIE]Tomcat 6.0.16-reboot required when changing the port number

Posted by Jon <ca...@gmail.com>.
No I'm stating that I had to reboot to get apache 'not running' on port 8080
and it seemed unusual, because I ran the shutdown scripts.  Has this problem
occured to anyone?

2008/9/8 Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>

> > 1.I´ve updated server.xml to change the default port from 8080 to
> > 80, however, I´ve noted that restarting the server leaves apache
> > tomcat listening on both ports 8080 and 80, until the server is
> > rebooted.
> >

> Are you stating that you have to reboot twice?
>
> Are you sure that it's tomcat that is still listening on port 8080?
>
> Try the shutdown script then run the command
>
> netstat -anp | grep 8080
>
> as root. If nothing comes up then that is a good thing.
>
> You may end up having to post your server.xml is the problem persists.
>

> > Scripts executed
> > shutdown.sh
> > startup.sh
> >
> > OS: RedHat Fedora 9 running Linux 2.6.25
> >
> > 2. It´s also noted that exporting the following line, makes the
> > server crash (i.e. Gnome does not boot up and some libraries seem be
> > corrupted during startup) export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.1 Why?
>
> Most likely because you are running kernel 2.6 and trying to force some
> apps to think you are
> running 2.4. This will cause libc problems.
>
> Why are you doing this? Tomcat doesn't require you to do this.
>

> -Steve O.

Jon Camilleri

Posted by Steve Ochani <oc...@ncc.edu>.