Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by __matthewHawthorne <ma...@phreaker.net> on 2003/12/20 08:00:38 UTC

subversion {was Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons}

Henri Yandell wrote:
>>#1. Commons Codec will be hosted on Subversion
 >
> -1
>
> I've not been able to install the server on Linux, or the client-ssl on a
> Mac with ease. Partly this is my own damn stupidity I suspect, but I'm
> competent on both platforms and would expect it to work pretty easily.
>
> I do want to do this, but with the trickle of time I've thrown at it,
> it's not been easy. I'm with Gary in having asked just why Subversion
> can't work with a CVS client, are there CVS features that it is unable to
> support, or that it supports in some non compatible way?

I was recently forced to switch to Subversion at work.  I haven't yet
tried to install a server, but the client and client-ssl were pretty
simple -- I just installed the necessary rpms.  I'm not sure how easy it
is in a non-rpm environment though.

As I understand it, the primary reason that Subversion can't work with
CVS clients is that they don't speak the same language.  Subversion
advertises itself as being able to transmit data in a much more
efficient way.  They take a differing philosophy on how to manage file
differences and a lot of other things.  The interface to the Subversion
client is the piece that is very similar to CVS, not necessarily the
guts underneath.

So far, so good -- I like Subversion, but I'm not quite ready to switch
over yet.  I'll probably do it during my next Linux upgrade, which will
hopefully be soon ;)

Re: subversion {was Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons}

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 11:21:39AM -0500, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:
> > I was recently forced to switch to Subversion at work.  I haven't yet
> > tried to install a server, but the client and client-ssl were pretty
> > simple -- I just installed the necessary rpms.  I'm not sure how easy it
> > is in a non-rpm environment though.
>
> I tend to only install rpms if they come from SuSE linux-wise. Otherwise I
> install from source. Too many occasions of being bitten by some non-SuSE
> rpm that damages things.
>
> I'll see if the version of SuSE I use for servers ship with a subversion
> rpm, though it'll be quite old.

There are some older Subversion releases already packaged for SuSE:

  http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html

I'm surprised that you have any problems with Subversion on SuSE, as Linux
is one of the primary development platforms of svn.

If you have problems getting it built, then ask on
dev@subversion.tigris.org. If you have questions about config or use, then
post to users@subversion.tigris.org. The community on both lists is quite
large and helpful.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: subversion {was Re: [codec] [proposal] Moving To Apache Commons}

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, __matthewHawthorne wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> >>#1. Commons Codec will be hosted on Subversion
>  >
> > -1
> >
> > I've not been able to install the server on Linux, or the client-ssl on a
> > Mac with ease. Partly this is my own damn stupidity I suspect, but I'm
> > competent on both platforms and would expect it to work pretty easily.
>
> I was recently forced to switch to Subversion at work.  I haven't yet
> tried to install a server, but the client and client-ssl were pretty
> simple -- I just installed the necessary rpms.  I'm not sure how easy it
> is in a non-rpm environment though.

I tend to only install rpms if they come from SuSE linux-wise. Otherwise I
install from source. Too many occasions of being bitten by some non-SuSE
rpm that damages things.

I'll see if the version of SuSE I use for servers ship with a subversion
rpm, though it'll be quite old.

Hen