Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by sebb <se...@gmail.com> on 2012/02/06 22:39:30 UTC

HTTP Body size calculation

I was just about to raise a bug against HC4, because the displayed
body size does not agree with the size of the downloaded file.

However, I suddenly realised that HC4 is measuring bytes received from
the wire, whereas Java and HC3 currently measure the end-user bytes,
i.e. after de-chunking.

We can just document this behaviour.

Or maybe we need to have yet another statistic for HTTP samples which
identifies the transport overhead?
Might be possible to measure this for HC3.1; I doubt it's possible for
the Java implementation.

Re: HTTP Body size calculation

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Le 06/02/2012 21:39, sebb a ecrit :
> I was just about to raise a bug against HC4, because the displayed
> body size does not agree with the size of the downloaded file.
>
> However, I suddenly realised that HC4 is measuring bytes received from
> the wire, whereas Java and HC3 currently measure the end-user bytes,
> i.e. after de-chunking.
>
> We can just document this behaviour.
>
> Or maybe we need to have yet another statistic for HTTP samples which
> identifies the transport overhead?

No I don't think.
HC4 has the good statistic (the real stat), and I suppose that Java and
HC3 will become obsolete in the future.
JMeter should change the default http implementation to HC4 (or HC3 for
a transitional phase to HC4). HC is theorically better than the Java
implementation.

Milamber