Posted to httpclient-users@hc.apache.org by N V Kameshwara Rao <ka...@applabs.net> on 2005/01/31 05:25:26 UTC

Connection Closed by JVM : error when using HttpClient 2.0

Hi all,
   I am a newbie at HttpClient.
    I have been trying to implement HttpClient for a Java Web Start
Application.
   All goes well but I sometimes keep getting this exception which states
      Connection closed by the JVM...
   How do I resolve this issue? What does the MethodRetryHandler have to do
with this?
   This usually happens when I wait for about a minute or so before
executing the PostMethod

   Please let me know how I can fix this.

   Thanks in advance,
   Rgds,
Kamesh

Re: Connection Closed by JVM : error when using HttpClient 2.0

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Kamesh,

What has changed? Frankly, a lot. A lot if *really* important things.

 (1) Architecture
  * New preference architecture
  * Improved exception handling framework
  * Granular non-standards configuration and tracking
  * Improved HTTP Version configuration and tracking
  * Support for streaming entities
  * Support for tunneled HTTP proxies via the ProxyClient
  * Ability to abort execution of HTTP methods

(2) Connection management
  * Support for closing idle connections
  * Support for JDK1.4 connect timeout through reflection
  * Support for connection manager shutdown

(3) Authentication
  * Improved authentication framework
  * Plug-in mechanism for authentication modules
  * Interactive authentication support
  * Alternate authentication support

(4) Cookie management
  * Cookie specification plug-in mechanism
  * 'Ignore cookies' cookie policy
  * Improved Netscape cookie support

(5) Redirects
  * Cross-site redirect support

For more details see:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/httpclient/trunk/release_notes.txt
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&product=HttpClient&target_milestone=2.1+Final&target_milestone=3.0+Alpha+1&target_milestone=3.0+Alpha+2&target_milestone=3.0+Beta+1&target_milestone=3.0+Beta+2&long_desc_type=substring&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&resolution=FIXED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=

Moreover, HttpClient 3.0 is about to go RC1 within a week or so.
Basically I see no reasons to not upgrade

Cheers,

Oleg

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Kamesh