Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by Deepa Rangarajan <de...@hotmail.com> on 2005/01/11 21:16:16 UTC

How to interpret garbage collection and tune it

Hi,
I am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this question.
I am using jmeter to run a load test. I see full GC kicking in often
despite increasing the HEAP and NEW size.
   I am looking for a better throughput as in more requests per second.
But I fear because of full GC happening often I am unable to see the results
that I want.
  How do I tune GC parameters so that I see better results.
If any of you have an idea or a good link that may be helpful, pls. let me
know.
   Jmeter is running on Solaris with 512MB . I am not using any Listener
Tree etc. The results
are written to a log and jmeter runs in nongui mode.

Re: How to interpret garbage collection and tune it

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.
which version of jmeter are  you using?  If you want to crank up the
through put, i would use multiple client machines. monday night I ran
some benchmarks against tomcat for static files and I was able to peak
around 9.5Mb/sec throughput (~1200req/sec).

Unless the server has multiple ethernet cards or a gigabit ethernet
card, 5-6 client machines should be able to saturate the server's
network IO. That's assuming the webserver holds up.

peter