Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org> on 2007/02/13 04:53:40 UTC

Nagios

Hey folks,

Any chance we can turn off the nagios notifications? Or at least turn
them down in frequency?

Duncan Findlay

Re: Nagios

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:53:40PM -0500, Duncan Findlay wrote:
>> Any chance we can turn off the nagios notifications? Or at least turn
>> them down in frequency?
>
> How about fixing the issues?  ;)   I haven't had time to figure out
> what it's monitoring for, so I haven't prodded the box to figure out
> what's up.  A quick look around makes it seem that things are ok, but
> ...  <shrug>

I took a peek inside the zone for the first time, and
I'm pretty sure that the core problem is that whatever
normally listens on port 8010 is currently not running.

>From <URL: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/spamassassin-commits/
   200507.mbox/%3C20050706065803.13533.57014@ajax.apache.org%3E >

it appears to be some python daemon related to the buildbot service.
More than that I can't really say at this point.  In any case I
think it's a good idea to disable the nags for now until the service
is restored, so I've gone ahead and done that.  Let me know
when it's ok to reactivate the alarms.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: Nagios

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 12:12:06AM -0500, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:53:40PM -0500, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> > Any chance we can turn off the nagios notifications? Or at least turn
> > them down in frequency?

> How about fixing the issues?  ;) I haven't had time to figure out
> what it's monitoring for, so I haven't prodded the box to figure out
> what's up.  A quick look around makes it seem that things are ok,
> but ...  <shrug>

Well, to be fair, the vast majority of this list can't (due to
permissions and such) fix said issues. (I'm going on the assumption
that the number of subscribers to dev >> number of committers/PMC
members.) And far more can't easily fix them due to lack of
understanding on how it works. :-) (I suppose I probably fall in the
latter category.)

Is it possible to acknowledge the issue to silence the alerts? I
imagine this requires access to the apache nagios web interface, but I
don't have any idea where that is or who has access.

Or perhaps, notifications should go to private@s.a.o?

I just don't want anyone driven away from the dev list by the intense
volume of nags. :-)

--
Duncan Findlay

Re: Nagios

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 10:53:40PM -0500, Duncan Findlay wrote:
> Any chance we can turn off the nagios notifications? Or at least turn
> them down in frequency?

How about fixing the issues?  ;)   I haven't had time to figure out what it's
monitoring for, so I haven't prodded the box to figure out what's up.  A quick
look around makes it seem that things are ok, but ...  <shrug>

--
Randomly Selected Tagline:
Dying is the leading cause of death in the world.