Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Evan J <ma...@gmail.com> on 2014/05/01 02:21:22 UTC

Web Service Appender

I searched around, but I could not find an off-the-shelf Appender that
sends logs to a web service. Is there any?

RE: Web Service Appender

Posted by Wa...@DellTeam.com.
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
Try this url

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/library/ws-log4j/index.html

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.
Wow I can't type good. Thanks.

Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Ralph Goers <rg...@apache.org>.
Flume, not Felix.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Matt Sicker <bo...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Evan J <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Evan J <ma...@gmail.com>.
This implementation is old and uses JAX-RPC/RMI calls which usually comes
up on top of search results for web service appenders. But thanks anyway.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Evan J <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Walter,

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.

On May 1, 2014, at 7:15 AM, Evan J <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> All the request and response messages, some header data, with additional
> information, are placed in an MDC, packaged in an Appender and sent to an
> MQ queue which, ultimately, makes a call to the service. It's a centralized
> logging model for all the applications in a cluster. Frankly, I don't like
> the design nor the setup, but I don't make such decisions (or requirements).
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:
>
>> A web service to do what?  Logging via SOAP would be extremely slow if
>> every log event is a single request.   Can you elaborate on what you really
>> want to do?
>>
>> Ralph
>>
>> On Apr 30, 2014, at 9:10 PM, Evan J <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for verifying this. I thought I might be missing an obvious, and
>>> this has already been implemented by at least someone.

RE: Web Service Appender

Posted by Wa...@DellTeam.com.
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
There are several architectural options . The cleanest might be to make a custom appender, and then do the queue removal and transport with a thread within
Log4j itself. This has the advantage of not disturbing the current setup and interface for local logging for development, while still providing a "high speed" method for production logging. In this case JMS would not be used, rather internal java queuing could be used, and the results put to a database, ready to be retrieved by a servlet and rich faces client. We have the technology to do this, since I am about to demonstrate a debuggable log4j built from source code. At the point we modify log4j, we would of course have to bring it under configuration management. The main problems is that it is a bit of work, and we would have to determine the correct internal queue size so that bursts of logging could be accomplished without slowing down the main processes. The Idea is to overlap I/O and CPU intensive processing so as to make the OS process our data as efficiently as possible. To this end, the database load could be done on other processors, perhaps using tux.

Thanks

Walter

So the app logs to JMS, not SOAP. Later you have something else that consumes the queue and calls the WS, but that would not be done by Log4j.
Or are you suggesting that Log4j should be able to consume from a Q and call a WS?

Gary

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM, Evan J wrote:

> Hi Ralph,
>
> All the request and response messages, some header data, with
> additional information, are placed in an MDC, packaged in an Appender
> and sent to an MQ queue which, ultimately, makes a call to the
> service. It's a centralized logging model for all the applications in
> a cluster. Frankly, I don't like the design nor the setup, but I don't
> make such decisions (or requirements).
>

> On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Ralph Goers
> <ralph.goers@dslextreme.com
> >wrote:
>
> > A web service to do what? Logging via SOAP would be extremely slow if
> > every log event is a single request. Can you elaborate on what you
> really
> > want to do?
> >
> > Ralph
> >
> > On Apr 30, 2014, at 9:10 PM, Evan J wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks for verifying this. I thought I might be missing an
> > > obvious, and this has already been implemented by at least someone.

> that

E-Mail: garydgregory@gmail.com | ggregory@apache.org Java Persistence with Hibernate, Second Edition
JUnit in Action, Second Edition
Spring Batch in Action
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Evan J <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ralph,

All the request and response messages, some header data, with additional
information, are placed in an MDC, packaged in an Appender and sent to an
MQ queue which, ultimately, makes a call to the service. It's a centralized
logging model for all the applications in a cluster. Frankly, I don't like
the design nor the setup, but I don't make such decisions (or requirements).

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 11:15 PM, Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>wrote:

> A web service to do what?  Logging via SOAP would be extremely slow if
> every log event is a single request.   Can you elaborate on what you really
> want to do?
>
> Ralph
>
> On Apr 30, 2014, at 9:10 PM, Evan J <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks for verifying this. I thought I might be missing an obvious, and
> > this has already been implemented by at least someone.
> >

> > On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 7:48 PM, Remko Popma <re...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Evan, no I'm not aware of any appender that logs to a web service.

RE: Web Service Appender

Posted by Wa...@DellTeam.com.
Dell - Internal Use - Confidential
What is needed is not only bundling which is a form of buffering, but also process overlap so that the transfers are held up to a point where the processing is more quiet
And more cycles are available. Offloading to another processor using tux also accomplishes this. This buffering could involve a stop and wait type protocol with a retransmit feature. The transmit would have to be some form of permanent storage to do this. Queuing offers the opportunity to "bundle" in memory, but might result in message loss if some permanent storage is also not involved, when a process aborts.

Posted by Ralph Goers <ra...@dslextreme.com>.
Yes, persistent buffering can prevent the data loss but adds to the complexity.  The Flume Appender does that.

I will take a look at the scribe appender when I get a chance.

Ralph

Re: Web Service Appender

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Re: Web Service Appender