Posted to users@camel.apache.org by JavaRat <fr...@mindwell.se> on 2008/09/23 10:28:47 UTC

Bridging the ActiveMQ with IBM Websphere using Camel

Camel seems too be a most interesting and promising keycomponent in our work
and we have thrown ourselves into trying its potentials. However while
trying to bridge an ActiveMQqueue with an IBM MQ websphere queue we have
discovered the following problem (please see attached picture).

http://www.nabble.com/file/p19623329/camelissue.jpeg camelissue.jpeg

Messages taken off the Active MQ queue and delivered onto the IBM MQ
Websphere queue which is good and what we want. However the messages will
not have the specific parameters set in the JMS header and it’s payload
emptied???

Hopefully this is an error from our part but without success we have tried
to locate the faulty code and are now turning too this forum for any advice
or pointers where we are going wrong. (It might be worth mentioning that
this code has worked for us previously using the Servicemix-JMS-Component
which we have tried adapting in the camel approach.)

Our setup is as follows:

CAMEL-CONTEXT.xml
<camelContext id="camel"
<package>org.websitename</package>
</camelContext>

<bean id="ibmmq" class="org.apache.camel.component.jms.JmsComponent">
<property name="connectionFactory">
<bean class="com.ibm.mq.jms.MQQueueConnectionFactory">
<property name="transportType">
<util:constant staticfield="com.ibm.mq.jms.JMSC.MQJMS_CLIENT_NONJMS_MQ"/>
</property>
<property name="queueManager" value="QMgr"/>
<property name="hostName" value="xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"/>
<property name="port" value="1414"/>
</bean>
</property>
</bean>

<bean id="activemq" class="org.apache.camel.component.jms.JmsComponent">
<property name="connectionFactory">
<property name="brokerURL" value="tcp://127.0.0.1:61616" />
</bean>
</property>
</bean>

MyRouteBuilder.java
public class MyRouteBuilder extends RouteBuilder {

public void configure() {
from("activemq:queue.in").process(new Processor() {
JmsMessage inMsg = null;

if (exchange.getIn() instanceof JmsMessage) {
inMsg = (JmsMessage)exchange.getIn();
javax.jms.Message inMsgMsg = inMsg.getJmsMessage();

if (inMsgMsg instanceof ActiveMQTextMessage) {
ActiveMQTextMessage inTextMsg = (ActiveMQTextMessage)inMsgMsg;
inTextMsg.setReadOnlyProperties(false);
inMsgMsg.setStringProperty("JMS_IBM_Format", MQC.MQFMT_STRING);
inMsgMsg.setIntProperty("JMS_IBM_MsgType", MQC.MQMT_REQUEST);
}
else {
System.out.println("inMsgMsg not a ActiveMQTextMessage but a " +
inMsgMsg.getClass().toString());
}

}
else {
System.out.println("inMsg not a JmsMessage but a " +
exchange.getIn().getClass().toString());
}

.to("ibmmq:queue.out");

}

A search through forums provided some related clues what might be a problem
in this case???

http://www.nabble.com/Some-headers-are-not-forwarded-to-JMS-destinations-td16763376s22882.html#a16763376

http://www.nabble.com/How-to-avoid-to-lost-Headers-add-from-messages-go-from-activemq---td18381854s22882.html#a18381854

http://www.nabble.com/-CONF--Apache-Camel:-Bean-Binding-(page-edited)-td18903933s22882.html

RE: Bridging the ActiveMQ with IBM Websphere using Camel

Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Hi

I was wondering if you should use a different constant that = JMS.

So this one should be changed:
<property name="transportType">
<util:constant static-field="com.ibm.mq.jms.JMSC.MQJMS_CLIENT_NONJMS_MQ"/>
</property>

To:
<property name="transportType">
<util:constant static-field="com.ibm.mq.jms.JMSC.MQJMS_CLIENT_JMS_MQ"/>
</property>

Notice: That the 2nd is a JMS (there is not a NON). This constant is the "1" I have sent to you in my sample, so it could probably be configured as:
<property name="transportType" value="1"/>

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen
Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576
Posted by JavaRat <fr...@mindwell.se>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Hi

Just a reminder. We should check how servicemix-jms supports these options.
Is "targetClient" a known option in servicemix-jms? Or does it support setting any arbitrary options, eg. ?mysuperoption=true

We could check the source code, servicemix-jms documentation and ask on the servicemix IRC chat room.

Frederik this option is not possible to set on the MQQueueConnectionFactory?
And why are you using a NON JMS transport type?
<property name="transportType">
<util:constant static-field="com.ibm.mq.jms.JMSC.MQJMS_CLIENT_NONJMS_MQ"/>
</property>

I think it should be "1" for JMS.

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen
Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576

Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Hi

Can you use Hermes to browse the MQ queues? Maybe the MQ queue browser is showing it as a raw kinda format. I am not familiar with the MQ console.

At my current client we have with success setup Hermes to browse our MQ broker.

I think you need some Java code in between your routing to be able to set the IBM specific headers and other stuff that you need in your case to send it to your MQ.

So the route: from(activemq:queue.in).to(ibmmq:queue///queue.out)
Must be expanded with a processor to do the java coding needed.

You can do this route to let you be in control what is sent to MQ
from(activemq:queue.in).process(new Processor()) {
  public void process(Exchange exchange) {
    // TODO: Insert java code here
    exchange.getIn().setBody("Hello World");
    exchange.getIn().setHeaders(Collections.EMPTY_MAP);
};).to(ibmmq:queue///queue.out)

You can also remove the .to(ibmmq:queue///queue.out) in the route and send it manually from the processor in java code. Here you can send it using spring-jms, so you can avoid whatever Camel interferes with.

Bottom line: I will try to get some plain java code working that can send a message to MQ. And then later use that code in Camel.

If you ping my en email at: davsclaus@apache.org then I will be able to send you some sample java code that we use for sending message to MQ using spring-jms. Albeit we don't use this in production, we are using it for proof-of-concept.

The same code can be used in Camel, just in the processor or as a spring bean etc.

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen
Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576

Posted by JavaRat <fr...@mindwell.se>.
Hi,

When we tried your JmsMessage camelJmsMessage = exchange.getIn().getBody();
we get an error in eclipse saying cannot convert Message to Object. We
therefor changed the code a little too the following:

Object myObj = exchange.getIn().getBody();
System.out.println("============================================");
System.out.println("Class of exchange.getIn().getBody() is : " +
myObj.getClass());
System.out.println("and it is : " + myObj);
System.out.println("============================================");

Which resultet in the following output in our console when running the code:

http://www.nabble.com/file/p19644436/consoleoutput.jpeg consoleoutput.jpeg

Class of exchange.getIn().getBody() is : class java.lang.String
and it is : try 40

It might be worth a notice while testing we aim to have a standard
webbrowser from ActiveMQ using the http://localhost:8161/admin and putting
the message onto our first queue which we call 'put.queue' (see attached
picture)

http://www.nabble.com/file/p19644436/camelissue5.jpeg camelissue5.jpeg

In the above test we typed "try 40" into the webbrowser and selected our
put.queue.
The first camel routing component delivers the message onto the queue.in and
browsing this message there it looks good.

RE: Bridging the ActiveMQ with IBM Websphere using Camel

Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Ad 1)
Missing payload. Sounds as if when you do get the payload and print it using system out, the payload type is stream based and thus can ONLY be read once.

I do believe that we have added some stream cache features into Camel so you can read it more than ONCE.

Ad 2)
Yeah Camel has an internal representation of JmsMessage as you wrote.
There is a getJmsMessage() to get the javax.jms.Message object.

The getBody() method should return the payload with the appropriate type such as String.

Sending the message to IBM MQ)
Looks like you can use the option alwaysCopy=true and then you can create the javax.jms.JmsMessage object to send wrapped in an org.apache.camel.component.jms.JMSMessage object. Then you are in control and Camel should not interfere and filter out headers etc.

The option is configured on the uri:
from(xxX).to("ibmmq:queue:xxx?alwaysCopy=true");

And in your processor java code, something like this:

Javax.jms.Message myJavaxJmsMessage = ...
// here get a standard JMS message and set the payload and the properties to send

// wrap it into a camel message and set the body to send
exchange.getIn().setBody(new org.apache.camel.component.jms.JMSMessage(myJavaxJmsMessage));

This is just what I could find looking into the source for 5 mins.

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen
Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576
Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Hi

Just a quick hint:

JmsMessage camelJmsMessage = exchange.getIn().getBody();
javax.jms.Message jmsMsg = camelJmsMessage.getJmsMessage();

And hopefully there is a good type converter so you can do this in one line:
javax.jms.Message jmsMsg = exchange.getIn().getBody(javax.jms.Message.class);

If this one is failing please report a bug in JIRA so we can have a type converter for this out-of-the-box.

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen
Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576

Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Hi

I would be quite surprised if you can not use standard JMS to send a simple text message to WebSphere MQ.

But you have to use IBM specific headers to mark it as a text message.

I have sent JMS messages from older WebLogic 5 and 6 to WebSphereMQ using standard JMS and never have to add specific MQ types.

I am sure there have been a lot of people before being able with success to send a text message to WebSphereMQ without having to use these IBM types as JMS properties.

Could you send a link to the exact point in the WebSphereMQ documentation where its stated that these MQ types must be set?
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wbihelp/v6rxmx/index.jsp (is just the "welcome page" ;))

Then we will be able to digest this and maybe add some code in Camel to allow IBM types to be set.

It would be helpful if you could create a sample java code that sends a TextMessage to IBM WebSphereMQ (just from a plain java main(String args...)

> I am not quite certain too what you mean with 'Can't you use String, Integer or the likes?'
The JMS spec mandates that only simple types must be used for JMS properties. By simple types its: Numeric types, String types, etc.

So setting a property with the type: com.ibm.MQ.MQ_XXX is not a simple type, according to the JMS spec. So that is why Camel filter out these types.

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen
Silverbullet
Skovsgårdsvænget 21
8362 Hørning
Tlf. +45 2962 7576

Posted by Claus Ibsen <ci...@silverbullet.dk>.
Hi

What version of Camel are you using? There have been a lot of activities on Camel 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5 (in progress). So it's good to know what you use.

Camel-jms will filter out any non JMS-spec valid headers. This is done by iterating the headers and check if the object type is not a valid one:

See the source: JmsBinding, JmsHeaderFilterStrategy

You set some MQ specific types and thus they are probably filtered out as they are not valid JMS types. Can't you use String, Integer or the likes?

Camel sends the JMS message based on the payload type either as a:
TextMessage
ObjectMessage
MapMessage
BytesMessage
See source: JmsBinding

What kind of payload are you sending?

We have a ticket for a RFE where you can configure Camel to use a fixed type so you can force it to send TextMessage.

Try setting DEBUG/TRACE logging to: org.apache.camel.component.jms
And see what it logs

You can also try to set a fixed message to send in your Processor code.

exchange.getIn.setBody("Hello World");
exchange.getIn.setHeader("foo", "bar");

Med venlig hilsen

Claus Ibsen