Posted to modproxy-dev@apache.org by Manon Goo <ma...@manon.de> on 2003/02/12 16:37:22 UTC

HTTP Hostname for reverse proxy

Is there any possibility to tell the realserver whct the hostname is ?

I want to use ProxyPass /x http://10.1.1.1/

but I want to send "backendserver" in the HTTP Header to the host

Manon

Re: HTTP Hostname for reverse proxy

Posted by Manon Goo <ma...@manon.de>.

--On Mittwoch, 12. Februar 2003 18:37 Uhr +0200 Graham Leggett
<mi...@sharp.fm> wrote:

> Manon Goo wrote:
>
>> Is there any possibility to tell the realserver whct the hostname is ?
>
> What do you mean by "real server" and "hostname"?

I want that reverse proxy connects to "real server"  and sends:

GET /bla/bla HTTP/1.1
HOST: hostname

I would like to configure modproxy that it does nots send
the host part of the url in the ProxyPass line but someting different.

Posted by Geff <ge...@pier64.com>.
Graham,

	I think what he means is if he's RPing a site (http://a/) and his app
is coded to check the host_header value (if host == a) to see how it
should behave.  While that coding style is questionable, perhaps it's
necessary for some reason.

	The way we have done it at one of my clients is to set up a /etc/hosts
with hostname b and the destination ip.  Then config the ProxyPass to
that name (http://b/).  So at least they get a hostname they can track
without too much recoding of the web app.  I was hoping for something
better than that, so I was trying to wait for a response. :)  Was hoping
you could artificially populate the host header variable to the "real"
web server.  But I haven't found any way to do that.  There is a
variable X-forwarded-host and x-forwarded-server that both seem to
represent host a (the original request from the browser).  Is this
accurate?

Geff

Posted by Graham Leggett <mi...@sharp.fm>.