Posted to dev@diversity.apache.org by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> on 2019/09/04 19:31:21 UTC

Re: [SUGGESTION] translation services

Hi -

Just a note that these pages are the responsibility of different groups and I was somewhat surprised to see this discussion. In addition there are links to other pages. I'm not indifferent, I'm just curious why this kind of effort goes here? (Note I'm not subscribed.)

Also, many of the Chinese in the Incubator seem to prefer to write English. These projects would not be in the Incubator if the communities (or donors) did not want global communities.

Suggest that there be some discussions face to face at Apachecon regarding these issues.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 9:31 PM Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> Just a note that these pages are the responsibility of different groups
> and I was somewhat surprised to see this discussion. In addition there are
> links to other pages. I'm not indifferent, I'm just curious why this kind
> of effort goes here? (Note I'm not subscribed.)

I'm not sure, but I suspect there was just a mistake somewhere along the
way.

> Also, many of the Chinese in the Incubator seem to prefer to write
> English. These projects would not be in the Incubator if the communities
> (or donors) did not want global communities.

This matches with my experience too.  Many Chinese *users* might want to
communicate with their projects in Chinese, but the contributors and
committers do seem to prefer to write English.  There is an inherent
conflict there, since users are frequently part of our pipeline to attract
developers to a project.  But there's no perfect solution here, and local
user lists plus English dev lists seems to serve everyone's interests
better than the other possible solutions.

Best,
Myrle