Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Blaine Bradbury <bl...@blainebradbury.com> on 2012/10/02 03:10:30 UTC

Re: Apache Flex roadmap page in the wiki [was: I was tired of waiting.]

On the Roadmap issue:

I think it would be EXTREMELY useful to have a device which could show the
current (as close to the present knowledge as is really manageable)
trajectory that the Apache Flex project is taking.  On any given day, there
are folks hard at work contributing new things with the intention to finish
them.  They may never do so.  In some cases, they may have
expressed commitment in their own right... beyond any Apache requirement
per se.  In other cases, the work could have a lot of support in the
community and therefore pretty likely to move forward.

Bottom line is that these ongoing efforts do tell a story and show a
certain geographical map toward an apparent goal that is shaped as it
happens.  I would love to see a Road map of this geography.  I would love
to share this story with customers and colleagues.  I also believe that
folks who wish simply to consume the software and develop applications out
in the market place could use this type of tool.  And those folks on some
level are the people who will give Apache Flex a future by keeping code in
production in the market place... possibly providing jobs.

A Road map shows details of roads in a handy overview where one can
rationalize roads according to existing geography, yes?  A Road map is a
device one might use to help one get from one place to another using roads.
 The information in a Road map is only as good as it as at the time of
publishing.  New Roads are created all the time.  New editions of a Road
map are published to show changes.  In our case, the Road map could show
intended paths... in italics or some such demarcation.  An idea list or a
wish list sounds hypothetical, not intentional.

Road map is easier to say than *"What we are planning to do at the moment
before we individually or collectively decide to change our minds List."*  But
I do think this disclaimer could be in nice obvious print just below the
heading :)

Also to note.  The content of the Road map will not magically post itself
somewhere, and it will probably have little value unless people contribute
or share.  This is very much like the rest of the Apache Flex ideal, yes?
 The folks who have wanted a Road map have only asked that it be allowed to
exist if they create it, so that they might try to make it work.  The more
obvious things being worked on are mostly likely the content targets
anyhow.  A single source for logging feature progress and showing revision
history is just easier for some than weeding through mountains of e-mail
and monthly status summaries.  Why not allow them to put a page up and
status how they see fit.  If it sucks... kill it later.

Lastly, I like the term "Road map", but I understand the objections.  I am
also very protective of language that might be under attack.  Corporate
america does not get to monopolize the term and force the image of
stressful project management and quarterly timelines onto the term for the
rest of us unless we let them.

bb

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
On Tuesday, October 2, 2012, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:10 AM, Blaine Bradbury
> <blaine@blainebradbury.com <javascript:;>> wrote:
> > ...I think it would be EXTREMELY useful to have a device which could
> show the
> > current (as close to the present knowledge as is really manageable)
> > trajectory that the Apache Flex project is taking...
>
> From my experience with other Apache projects, the best way to achieve
> that is by using the issue tracker in a way that reflects people's
> actual actions.
>
> A contributor creates issues at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLEX for things that they intend
> to work on, marks them as "wishlist" if not working on them
> immediately, updates their status as they go on working on them. Using
> hierarchical issues ("blocked by") allows you to group them in logical
> blocks and see which issues need to be fixed to reach a given goal.
> Each issue can also serve as a mini-documentation of the feature in
> question, by including a description of the use case and test
> scenarios.
>
> Combined with a high-level overview of the general direction that
> active contributors want the project to take, this is IMO the best way
> of exposing the "project trajectory", in real time.
>
> -Bertrand

Hadn't thought about that. JIRA makes the most sense to me.

-omar

Re: Apache Flex roadmap page in the wiki [was: I was tired of waiting.]

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/1/12 11:21 PM, "Métairie, Stéphane" <se...@ebu.ch> wrote:

> This page shown a rudimentary but interesting Roadmap that doesn't come
> magically by itself there ;)
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Status+of+Project
>
> I'm insisting that Decision Maker won't drill down the web site to reach the
> confluence wiki to find this page, won't subscribe to this list, etc.
> The final aim (for a volunteer-based project too) is the Flex life continue,
> isn't it?
If we need to make it more apparent as to the status, I'm willing to listen
to ideas on how we can do that.  The Spoon folks publish status reports with
regularity.  Maybe they just need to be linked.

I think "roadmap" implies a promise of the future, which is why there is
pushback against having one.  But I am still very interested to hear from
the Decision Makers as to what they want to see Apache Flex do.  There was a
survey done recently by a third party, but it was mostly focused on
contributions from Adobe.

And me?  For now my first priority is to get the Mustella tests running on
FlashPlayer on Mac and Win so folks can validate changes to the framework,
then shepherd the FalconJS donation.  But that can certainly be influenced
by input from Decision Makers.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: Apache Flex roadmap page in the wiki [was: I was tired of waiting.]

Posted by Métairie, Stéphane <se...@ebu.ch>.
I think you should not be tensed with this Roadmap, and nobody will spend his time to update a timeline ... the status of the project is sufficient, perhaps more visible would be better. Just my opinion ;)

"But people committing, making patches and contributing will."

We agree.

> This page shown a rudimentary but interesting Roadmap that doesn't
> come magically by itself there ;)
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Status+of+Project

No, it doesn't automatically appear there. People that are working on Flex have to update it, but guess what? Nobody is updating it. They're probably not updating it because they would rather spend their time working on Flex.
As a committer I hardly have time to mess with Flex, when I do have that time, I am not going to spend it playing with a Wiki. I'm going to spend it playing with Flex. I'm sure others feel similar, or this status page would have more information in it.

> I'm insisting that Decision Maker won't drill down the web site to
> reach the confluence wiki to find this page, won't subscribe to this list, etc.

So if a decision maker isn't going to look for the "Status of Project" page then what makes you think they'll drill down the web site to search for a roadmap?

> The final aim (for a volunteer-based project too) is the Flex life
> continue, isn't it?

Yes. A roadmap isn't going to prolong the life of Flex. But people committing, making patches and contributing will.

Omar Gonzalez
s9tpepper@apache.org
Apache Flex PPMC

If you have received this email in error, please notify the system manager. This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by the mailgateway

Re: Apache Flex roadmap page in the wiki [was: I was tired of waiting.]

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Just chiming into this dead horse.

The problem with projects that get donated to Apache from an
established Enterprise is what has previously happened in this
project, warped perspectives.

Roadmaps in the English language say "there are roads to travel". In
Apache, we say "roads, who needs roads where we are going there are no
roads...". Oh I know that was cheesy and I'm not that geekey but the
sentiment is true.

I look at my experience, I have developed Flex components for about 8
years. Hum, my road map in life says, keep developing Flex components.
But the great thing about this project is I can do whatever I want to
do and right now I am working with the new Falcon compiler.

In the enterprise world, smart educated university graduates would
look at me and say, he is wasting time, killing the project since he
is not giving us the "Missing Flex components", that is priority over
a compiler that doesn't even parse MXML correctly yet!

I left this project for 8 months thinking my days of Flex was over.
Mysteriously life brought me back right when the compiler was donated.
You see, opensource at Apache has to do with innovation and
experimentation with no rules.

In the spirit of honesty, sometimes I look at all the component bugs
and requests and say to myself, you know I could do a lot here. I have
a lot of experience to move this forward. But the renegade in me says,
I'm working on the compiler because it brings joy to me. This is why
Apache does not use roadmaps, they know taking away developers joy in
project means certain death and a ghost town soon to follow.

Mike

--
Michael Schmalle - Teoti Graphix, LLC
http://www.teotigraphix.com

Re: Apache Flex roadmap page in the wiki [was: I was tired of waiting.]

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Métairie, Stéphane <se...@ebu.ch>.
For all observers (and FLEX orphans) the roadmap, or some milestones, publicly shared will be helpful and ... comforting : many IT decision-maker wonder if they have to continue with Flex or not.

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 6:10 PM, Blaine Bradbury
> [...]

>  The folks who have wanted a Road map have only asked that it be
> allowed to exist if they create it, so that they might try to make it
> work.  The more obvious things being worked on are mostly likely the
> content targets anyhow.  A single source for logging feature progress
> and showing revision history is just easier for some than weeding
> through mountains of e-mail and monthly status summaries.  Why not
> allow them to put a page up and status how they see fit.  If it sucks... kill it later.
>
> Lastly, I like the term "Road map", but I understand the objections.
> I am also very protective of language that might be under attack.
> Corporate america does not get to monopolize the term and force the
> image of stressful project management and quarterly timelines onto the
> term for the rest of us unless we let them.

The "Roadmap" changed to
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/FLEX/Status+of+Project

As you can see it is not very populated, my guess would be that Apache Flex volunteers/committers are busy working on things that are of their interest, which is not to try and compile and maintain a Roadmap that nobody is going to adhere to.

We've had this discussion ad nauseam, I think it basically boils down to a couple of things:
1.) This is a volunteer based project, people are in and out of this project, so it is very difficult to either a.) agree to a "roadmap" and b.) keep some web page updated with information regarding what everyone is doing.

2.) The consensus has pretty much been against the creation of a roadmap page due to #1 as well as other things, such as the stigma you alluded to that has been established as the expectations for a roadmap.

You stated it yourself, "The content of the Road map will not magically post itself somewhere, and it will probably have little value unless people contribute or share", and as you can see by the Status of Project page, no one is updating it even tho we've agreed not to call it Roadmap but still have the type of information people are looking for in a "roadmap". The truth of the matter is when people volunteer their time to the project they want to work on what interests them, I would put my money on that most of the committers would rather be coding and getting things done as opposed to trying to keep up some roadmap/status page.

If people really want to know what's going on just check out the repository and look through the project history. Or they could search through the mail archives, it sounds shitty but that's just the way it is.

Bottom line is there seems to be very little interest in maintaing a web page, and much more interest in just getting shit done. In an ideal world we would have all the time in the world to maintain roadmaps and status pages and contribute to the project etc etc, but we don't have all that time and so people will continue to just work on stuff they want to. When that stuff is ready they can move it from their whiteboards or personal repositories/forks and submit them as patches.

As Nike would say... Just do it.

Posted by Omar Gonzalez <om...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> or share.  This is very much like the rest of the Apache Flex ideal, yes?
>  The folks who have wanted a Road map have only asked that it be allowed to
> exist if they create it, so that they might try to make it work.  The more
> obvious things being worked on are mostly likely the content targets
> anyhow.  A single source for logging feature progress and showing revision
> history is just easier for some than weeding through mountains of e-mail
> and monthly status summaries.  Why not allow them to put a page up and
> status how they see fit.  If it sucks... kill it later.
>
> Lastly, I like the term "Road map", but I understand the objections.  I am
> also very protective of language that might be under attack.  Corporate
> america does not get to monopolize the term and force the image of
> stressful project management and quarterly timelines onto the term for the

The "Roadmap" changed to