Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2013/01/31 21:06:00 UTC

Wondering about Eclipse perspective names for TextMarker

The TextMarker workbench adds two new Eclipse "perspectives", named "TextMarker"
and the other named "Explain".

I wonder if the 2nd perspective ought to be named something that indicated it
was part of TextMarker?  It seems that "Explain" might be too general a name?

Maybe TextMarker-Explain? or TM-Explain?

-Marshall

Re: Wondering about Eclipse perspective names for TextMarker

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
On 1/31/2013 3:08 PM, Peter Klügl wrote:
> Am 31.01.2013 21:06, schrieb Marshall Schor:
>> The TextMarker workbench adds two new Eclipse "perspectives", named "TextMarker"
>> and the other named "Explain".
>>
>> I wonder if the 2nd perspective ought to be named something that indicated it
>> was part of TextMarker?  It seems that "Explain" might be too general a name?
>>
>> Maybe TextMarker-Explain? or TM-Explain?
>
> Good point. Another thought: is TextMarker enough or do I need to change it
> to, e.g., UIMA TextMarker?

This is a "probability" guess, I think.  My opinion at the moment is that
TextMarker is enough.

-Marshall

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
Am 31.01.2013 21:13, schrieb Marshall Schor:
> (Showing my ignorance a bit here :-) )
>
> Are view names in Eclipse "global"?  In other words, if a plugin adds an Eclipse
> view which appears in the Windows-> Show View list, with the name "Statistics",
> and some other plugin also adds a view with this name, what happens?  Does this
> cause a problem or confusion?
>
> If so, then I would suggest reviewing the names used for these kinds of things
> in TextMarker, with the assumption that the user may have installed other
> plugins not related to TextMarker into their Eclipse.  We might want to consider
> having more TextMarker-qualified names (e.g., TextMarker-Statistics or
> TM-Statistics), instead of general ones, like Statistics.
>
> If this isn't a problem because view names are already qualified in some other
> way and users have a way to disambiguate 2 views with the same name, then maybe
> there's no issue...

This shouldn't be a problem. There is an internal id and a category.
name: Statistics
id: org.apache.uima.textmarker.statistics
category: org.apache.uima.textmarker.ide.ui

Peter

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.