Posted to log4php-dev@logging.apache.org by Florian Semm <Fl...@gmx.de> on 2013/01/15 21:22:25 UTC

PSR-3

Hey,

Are there any considerations about a implementation of the the new PSR-3 standard in log4php?

Regards Florian

[Psr3] https://github.com/php-fig/log/blob/master/Psr/Log/LoggerInterface.php

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM, Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2013 21:53, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There will be a day we need to support namespaces. PHP is progressing
>> and namespaces are part of it.
>> Maybe we should put the non-namespace code to maintenance mode and
>> start with namespacing in newer versions
>
> Yeah I agree, but I wanted another release (2.4.0 or whatever) before
> introducing namsepaces. This will allow us to separate docs from
> website (I'm working on it as we speak). This will be good in the long
> run since we will be able to have docs from 2.x branch and docs from
> 3.x (namespaces branch) in paralel on our web.

Yes makes sense. As long as you are the only coding member of this
project we others will follow you gladly (and thankfully)

>>> Are you volunteering? :)
>>
>> What board? But yes we should be part of whatever. And +1 on our volunteer! :-)
>
> Framework Interoperability Group:
> http://www.php-fig.org/
>
> They made the PSR standards. If we were more active while the PSR-3
> standard was being developed, we may have influenced the design. But I
> totally missed the whole show.

I see. Actually other specification groups often ask experts on
specific areas. Sad they didn't reach out to logging framework
developers.

>>> So to recap, for v.3.0 we have to implement: PSR-0, PSR-1, PSR-2 and
>>> PSR-3. No problem. :)
>>
>> Did you just say you don't want to make holidays this year? ;-)
>
> Oh, I already have tickets for my holidays in may. :)

i am so jealous :)

Cheers

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de>.
Am 17.01.2013 22:00, schrieb Ivan Habunek:
> On 17 January 2013 21:53, Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There will be a day we need to support namespaces. PHP is progressing
>> and namespaces are part of it.
>> Maybe we should put the non-namespace code to maintenance mode and
>> start with namespacing in newer versions
> Yeah I agree, but I wanted another release (2.4.0 or whatever) before
> introducing namsepaces. This will allow us to separate docs from
> website (I'm working on it as we speak). This will be good in the long
> run since we will be able to have docs from 2.x branch and docs from
> 3.x (namespaces branch) in paralel on our web.
+1

>>> Are you volunteering? :)
>> What board? But yes we should be part of whatever. And +1 on our volunteer! :-)
> Framework Interoperability Group:
> http://www.php-fig.org/
>
> They made the PSR standards. If we were more active while the PSR-3
> standard was being developed, we may have influenced the design. But I
> totally missed the whole show.
The current PSR-3 standard is strongly influenced by the Zend and
Symfony/Monolog Framework. They already use those logging-methods in
their frameworks. The chance to the change fingerprint is very small.

>>> So to recap, for v.3.0 we have to implement: PSR-0, PSR-1, PSR-2 and
>>> PSR-3. No problem. :)
>> Did you just say you don't want to make holidays this year? ;-)
> Oh, I already have tickets for my holidays in may. :)
>
> Regards,
> Ivan

Regards,

Florian

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 8:24 AM, Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2013 07:47, Florian Semm <FS...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> The fingerprint and naming of all logging methods is quite different to the methods of log4php. It means much adjustments in the Logger class. Maybe a wrapper class, which implements the LoggerInterface, would be helpful.

+1 to wrapper.

We surely want to keep our users happy with not chaning our
interfaces. And a wrapper is not much overhead.

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 2:00 AM, Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 17 January 2013 07:47, Florian Semm <FS...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Somebody should become a member of the fig voters board.
>
> I went ahead and nominated myself:
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/php-fig/meAfHFOk10M/discussion
>
> Let's see how that goes.

Very good. Lets not forget to blog/tweet/+ it as these make up good
news, if it happens - and so far you have received 2 +1 already

Cheers

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Florian Semm <fl...@gmx.de>.
Am 18.01.2013 02:00, schrieb Ivan Habunek:
> On 17 January 2013 07:47, Florian Semm <FS...@gmx.de> wrote:
>> Somebody should become a member of the fig voters board.
> I went ahead and nominated myself:
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/php-fig/meAfHFOk10M/discussion
>
> Let's see how that goes.
Great! :)

> Regards,
> Ivan

Regards,

Florian

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Florian Semm <FS...@gmx.de>.
The fingerprint and naming of all logging methods is quite different to the methods of log4php. It means much adjustments in the Logger class. Maybe a wrapper class, which implements the LoggerInterface, would be helpful.

If log4php want be with the cool guys, this adjustments have be made. But this should be part of a release, which includes namesspaces. Btw: this guy had already add namespaces: https://github.com/ehutson/log4php ;)

Somebody should become a member of the fig voters board.

Reagards Florian

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

Re: PSR-3

Posted by Ivan Habunek <iv...@gmail.com>.