Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com> on 2006/07/11 22:41:09 UTC

hot standby in proxy added

I've folded in my impl of hot-standby for proxy workers...
check out trunk. I'm sure there is tuning to be done, but
it's a functional impl that minimizes the code touched.

Re: hot standby in proxy added

Posted by Ruediger Pluem <rp...@apache.org>.

On 07/11/2006 10:41 PM, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> I've folded in my impl of hot-standby for proxy workers...
> check out trunk. I'm sure there is tuning to be done, but
> it's a functional impl that minimizes the code touched.

Just to be sure that I got the correct understanding of the hot-standby worker:

The hot-standby worker is the last resort if the site would be otherwise dead.
The hot-standby worker can be used e.g. to display a maintenance page or a simpler
version of the site or if you can affort the full site from an environment that
only consumes power during a healthy state of the site.

This would be different from a disabled worker which would be elected if the session
route matches, but which would not be elected by a balancer algorithm. This is the
way it works in mod_jk, but currently does not work in mod_proxy_balancer. Once I
get some spare cycles I would like to make this work and make the small changes needed
for this.
With this feature you can prefer "local" workers, but you can keep session stickyness
for requests that do not origin from this "local" worker.

Regards

RĂ¼diger