Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Nate Roe <na...@vegas.com> on 2008/04/09 02:46:12 UTC

Problem with null or empty arrays?

I am using Axis2 v1.3 and Rampart v1.3 on JBossAS v4.0.5 running on Java 1.6.0_03.

When a service responds with a null or empty array, my client stub (built with "wsdl2java -uri Service.xml -p com.vegas.stub -u") creates an array with a single, null element.

That is, a SOAP response like this:
<ns:return xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:nil="true" />

...yields an array with one null element.  I would expect either the array to be null, or for the array to have length == 0.

This problem seems to occur at any level of nested object.  When the ADB code sees xsi:nil="true", it makes these weird arrays.

Is this a bug?  Has it been reported?  I searched JIRA but found no mention.

Thanks,
Nate Roe