Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by rupak <ru...@gmail.com> on 2015/03/23 04:09:59 UTC

Need Solr 5.0 Support to search and upload doc and indexing.

Hi,

I am new in Solr and using Solr 5.0.0 search server. After installing when
I’m going to search any keyword in solr 5.0.0 it dose not give any results
back. But when I was using a previous version of Solr (1.3.0)(previously
installed) it gives each and every results of the queried Keyword.

For Example: In previous version (1.3.0) when I’m searching with any keyword
like “Hotel”, “Motel”, “Television” , “i-pod” , “Books”, “cricket” etc in
Query String section, it gives all search results with large number of
records as a XML output.

But in Solr 5.0.0 I start up with techproducts core (bin/solr -e
techproducts) and then going to search keywords like “Television” , “i-pod”
etc then it gives 2 or 3 results and also if we going to search any others
keyword like “Hotel”, “Motel” it dose not return back any results. Also if
we start up with cloud by bin/solr start -e cloud -noprompt it dose not
gives any results. Also when we are going to use ‘POST’ tools by executing
post.jar in command prompt says an error that this is not a valid command.

Currently I’m unable to find any keyword. Please help me to query any string
keyword from  solr 5.0.0.

we are working on a project which was previously made on solr 1.3. When we
are going to search any query we are getting all results accordingly. but
now if we are going to find any data we are getting nothing.

Here I have described the process of installation so that you can gauge the
problem.

Firstly we have installed the java 1.8. and then downloaded the Solr 5 and
Then we have installed it via bin\solr.cmd start command from command
prompt.  then works perfectly from browser.

Then when we are going to execute $ bin/post -c gettingstarted
example/exampledocs/*.json in cmd prompt it fires some errors like "'post'
is not recognized as an internal or external command,"  and after that we
are unable to find any results. Please guide us to over come this scenarios.
So that we can step forward. As we can see that we need to index all the
documents in order to get the results.

Also if we go with techproducts via "$ bin/solr -e techproducts" then we get
only few results. but the entire performance like previous version. Please
suggest us what to do to get the results.

Re: Need Solr 5.0 Support to search and upload doc and indexing.

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Uhhhhm, if the directory you're in has the "post" executable, how do
you expect to path to bin/post? You're already _in_ the bin directory
and this would be looking for a subdirectory called "bin" that
contained the post tool.

So back up one directory to the parent of 'bin' and try it again would
be my suggestion.

bq: One more thing, that I am receiving results from our previous installation.
Like "Hotels","Motel" and etc, now can you tell me that is there different
document exist for these search results ? if so then from where we can get
those docs to query these results

Very simple. You have a 1.3 installation that someone (apparently
someone else?) put a bunch of docs in. What you've indicated so far is
that you're indexing the _example_ documents which bear no relation to
your old installation. Therefore, there's no reason to expect that
searches in the 1.3 installation have anything to do with the 5.x
tutorial.

I'll be on the road the rest of this week, thus pretty much unable to
respond. The book Solr In Action is a very good place to gain an
overall understanding of Solr, I can highly recommend this book:
http://www.manning.com/grainger/?a_aid=1&a_bid=39472865

Best,
Erick

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
bq: Then when we are going to execute $ bin/post -c gettingstarted
example/exampledocs/*.json in cmd prompt it fires some errors like "'post'
is not recognized

This usually means you're not firing the query from the proper
directory. Are you in the solr parent of "bin"?

I'm really unclear where your main problem is. These are _examples_,
indexing example data. I just
looked in the exampledocs directory and the word "hotel" doesn't
appear anywhere in the input. So
I'm totally confused about why you think you should find docs when
searching on that word.

So it sounds like you're comparing your old installation (all your
custom schema, data, etc) with
the canned examples, in which case it's unsurprising that the results
are different.

Best,
Erick