Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Richard Dunn <gn...@mac.com> on 2008/10/23 21:26:35 UTC

JMSAppender failover

I have been using the JMSAppender successfully for over a year, and have even
written a command line aggregator server that gathers the messages from
multiple servers (and optionally forward/filters to another aggregator) and
has been working great.

The one stumbling block I have had not been able to cross is getting the JMS
failover working correctly.
If I have the following in my log4j.properties (no failover) everything
works fine:
log4j.appender.jms.ProviderURL=tcp://jmsserver:61616

If I try either of the following (with failover) the webapps using the
JMSAppender block and will not start:
log4j.appender.jms.ProviderURL=failover://(tcp://jmsserver:61616,tcp://jmsserver2:61616)?randomize=true&backup=true&initialReconnectDelay=20
log4j.appender.jms.ProviderURL=failover:(tcp://jmsserver:61616,tcp://jmsserver2:61616)?randomize=true&backup=true&initialReconnectDelay=20

I have tried numerous combinations of the parameters, including omitting,
but nothing seems to work.

I am using ActiveMQ, and have tried 4.1.2, 5.1.0, 5.2.0 (snapshots), and
5.3.0 (snapshots) all with the same results.

My Log4j version is 1.2.15.

Re: JMSAppender failover

Posted by selezovikj <se...@gmail.com>.
I had the same problem.
For me the commons-logging.jar file was making failover say that it is
attempting to connect for hours.
So, try removing the commons-logging.jar file and make sure you use
activemq-all instead of activemq-core jar file.

Hope this fixes your problem.